Oct 6, 2010, 7:08 PM EST
The Rangers couldn’t wait to remove disappointing right-hander Rich Harden from their big-league roster.
Anthony Andro of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that Harden was designated for assignment on Wednesday evening so that Texas could claim 23-year-old Ryan Tucker from the Marlins.
Harden was signed to a one-year, $6.5 million contract last winter that included an $11 million mutual option for 2011. That option, of course, will not be exercised and the eight-year veteran will head into the offseason as a free agent.
Harden, 28, threw up a 5.58 ERA and 1.66 WHIP over 20 appearances (18 starts) this season, striking out 75 batters but walking 62 over 92 innings of work. He battled a shoulder and glute injury and was left off the Rangers’ postseason roster.
Tucker, claimed off waivers in a corresponding move, registered 6.15 ERA, 1.72 WHIP and 19/17 K/BB ratio in 33 2/3 innings this year at the Triple-A level.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 272
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (275)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)