Oct 6, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT
Opening Day catcher Dioner Navarro, part-time designated Willy Aybar, and rookie phenom Jeremy Hellickson are all absent from the Rays’ playoff roster, with struggling starter Jeff Niemann and outfielders Rocco Baldelli and Desmond Jennings making the cut in their place.
In fact, Baldelli will actually start at designated hitter against Cliff Lee in Game 1, which is pretty remarkable for a guy who was literally coaching in the minors a couple months ago. Baldelli totaled just 24 at-bats with the Rays, hitting .208, but he’s a career .295/.346/.485 hitter versus lefties.
Niemann lost out to Wade Davis for fourth-starter gig by posting a 7.69 ERA in 11 starts after the All-Star break, but he’ll be used as a long reliever in the ALDS. Not exactly a crucial role, but it does seem odd that the Rays would choose Niemann over Hellickson, who went 4-0 with a 3.47 ERA and 33/8 K/BB ratio in 36.1 innings after being called up in August.
Navarro was the Rays’ starting catcher in the first and last game of the regular season, but is third on the depth chart behind rookie John Jaso and Kelly Shoppach. Aybar was the Rays’ starting designated hitter for much of the season, but never actually produced at the plate. Joe Maddon indicated that he liked Jennings’ value as a pinch-runner more than Aybar’s value as a pinch-hitter.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 27
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 64
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)