Oct 6, 2010, 7:42 PM EDT
As close to perfection as one can come without actually getting there.
Roy Halladay, already with a perfect game to his credit in the 2010 regular season, dominated the Reds in Tuesday’s Game 1, throwing just the second no-hitter in postseason history. The only baserunner to reach against him was Jay Bruce, doing so on a walk with two outs in the fifth inning. Halladay retired the other 27 batters he faced to join Don Larsen as the only pitchers to throw no-hitters in the postseason.
Larsen, of course, threw a perfect game for the Yankees against the Dodgers in Game 5 of the 1956 World Series.
Halladay was the first in many years to even threaten an October no-hitter. The last pitcher to go seven hitless was Jim Lonborg for the Red Sox in 1967. He pitched 7 2/3 hitless innings on his way to a one-hit shutout of the Cardinals in the World Series.
With Halladay making it clear right away that he was on tonight, this one seemed over as soon as the Phillies scored three times against Edinson Volquez to make it a 4-0 game in the second inning. That the Phillies never added another run — they managed just one hit after the second inning — has to be of a little concern.
Still, the Phillies are in a commanding position right now. The Reds must be thinking that coming back and winning Game 4 is a long shot, leaving them with no margin for error in Games 2 and 3 against Roy Oswalt and Cole Hamels. Oswalt and Bronson Arroyo will duel Friday.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)