Oct 6, 2010, 12:24 PM EST
11:30: A.M. I slapped the “rumor” tag on the headline because if we were tallying “rumors that ended up being totally wrong” by media sector, radio guys would have a commanding lead.
With that disclaimer out of the way, Doug Russell of WSSP in Milwaukee is reporting that Bob Brenly is close to accepting an offer from the Brewers to be the club’s new manager. Brenly’s response is that he “has nothing to say right now.”
Brenly has a World Series ring, but he’s been out of the managing game since being let go by the Dbacks following the 2004. He’s been broadcasting Cubs games since then.
He was reportedly in the running to manage the Brewers the last time the job was open prior to the 2009 season, but that obviously didn’t happen. The relationship he developed with Brewers brass during that go-around would likely explain why we hadn’t heard rumors about him replacing Ken Macha before now. No need for big interviews. Less opportunity for leaks.
I don’t know that Brenly would be the most inspiring choice, but for a team that has gone through firebrands like Ken Macha and Ned Yost in recent years, this is Milwaukee equivalent of hiring Dock Ellis or Bill Lee or someone like that.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 170
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (171)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)