Oct 6, 2010, 12:24 PM EDT
11:30: A.M. I slapped the “rumor” tag on the headline because if we were tallying “rumors that ended up being totally wrong” by media sector, radio guys would have a commanding lead.
With that disclaimer out of the way, Doug Russell of WSSP in Milwaukee is reporting that Bob Brenly is close to accepting an offer from the Brewers to be the club’s new manager. Brenly’s response is that he “has nothing to say right now.”
Brenly has a World Series ring, but he’s been out of the managing game since being let go by the Dbacks following the 2004. He’s been broadcasting Cubs games since then.
He was reportedly in the running to manage the Brewers the last time the job was open prior to the 2009 season, but that obviously didn’t happen. The relationship he developed with Brewers brass during that go-around would likely explain why we hadn’t heard rumors about him replacing Ken Macha before now. No need for big interviews. Less opportunity for leaks.
I don’t know that Brenly would be the most inspiring choice, but for a team that has gone through firebrands like Ken Macha and Ned Yost in recent years, this is Milwaukee equivalent of hiring Dock Ellis or Bill Lee or someone like that.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)