Oct 6, 2010, 12:24 PM EDT
11:30: A.M. I slapped the “rumor” tag on the headline because if we were tallying “rumors that ended up being totally wrong” by media sector, radio guys would have a commanding lead.
With that disclaimer out of the way, Doug Russell of WSSP in Milwaukee is reporting that Bob Brenly is close to accepting an offer from the Brewers to be the club’s new manager. Brenly’s response is that he “has nothing to say right now.”
Brenly has a World Series ring, but he’s been out of the managing game since being let go by the Dbacks following the 2004. He’s been broadcasting Cubs games since then.
He was reportedly in the running to manage the Brewers the last time the job was open prior to the 2009 season, but that obviously didn’t happen. The relationship he developed with Brewers brass during that go-around would likely explain why we hadn’t heard rumors about him replacing Ken Macha before now. No need for big interviews. Less opportunity for leaks.
I don’t know that Brenly would be the most inspiring choice, but for a team that has gone through firebrands like Ken Macha and Ned Yost in recent years, this is Milwaukee equivalent of hiring Dock Ellis or Bill Lee or someone like that.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 11
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 70
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)