The Mariners are interested in Daisuke Matsuzaka

Oct 6, 2010, 3:31 PM EDT

Cliff Lee and the Rangers are now up 5-0 on the Rays in the sixth and the game is starting to lull me to sleep.

Speaking of lulling fans to sleep, John Hickey of FanHouse reports that the Mariners would be interested in talking to the Red Sox about Daisuke Matsuzaka if they were to make him available. You would figure that the Red Sox would have to be willing to pick up a chunk of the two years and $20 million
left on his deal. Dice-K has been pretty underwhelming — he went 9-6 with a 4.69 ERA in 25
starts this season — but like any number of pitchers, he may find some rejuvenation by moving to the larger parks — and facing the weaker offenses — in the AL West.

Bonus: if you watch M’s game from back east like I do, Matsuzaka’s starts would begin just about the time you start thinking about going to sleep so, hey, no more insomnia problems.

1. easports82 - Oct 6, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Yeah, him pitching would slow the game down, but since the M’s don’t have a real offense, it’d balance out.

2. geoknows - Oct 6, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Well, Dice-K already said he would waive his no-trade if it was to a West Coast team, so I could see that working. Red Sox fans will be happy to foot the bill for a one-way ticket to Seattle.

3. CG - Oct 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Queue the mediots who say Seattle would be a good fit for Dice-K because Ichiro is also Japanese.

4. IdahoMariner - Oct 6, 2010 at 4:28 PM

oh, god, please no….. this is a joke, right? it’s hard enought to watch them these days…now I gotta slam red bull?!

5. Pisano - Oct 6, 2010 at 4:47 PM

I’m sure the Sox would listen to any offer for that runt . That was the biggest screwing in baseball . Who ever told the Sox this guy was worth 101 million should be castrated . He finally got his ERA under five for a season . His best bet is to go back to Japan , maybe he would be competitive there , because he’s nothing here .

6. mcsnide - Oct 6, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Not going to happen. Dice-K was better than Beckett and about the same as Lackey this year. Why would they eat his salary when he’s a more than serviceable 4 or 5 starter? Just because I can’t stand to watch him pitch doesn’t mean he’s worthless.

7. JBerardi - Oct 6, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Finally got his ERA under 5? His career ERA is 4.18. Also, 50 million of that 101 was the posting fee to negotiate with the guy; that money is long gone. Matsuzaka makes a reasonable ~8 million a year.

Facts– they’re useful! You should give them a try sometime.

8. JBerardi - Oct 6, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Exactly. He’s a decent enough pitcher, his contract is quite reasonable, and the Red Sox don’t have any minor league starters who are really banging down the door for a rotation slot. So how does it improve Boston’s roster to just jettison the guy?

9. Pisano - Oct 6, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Your post and mcsnide make sense . I guess what really gets me is what mcsnide said , watching him pitch drives me nuts .It’s about as exciting as watching a soccer game . I can’t stand either one .

10. JBerardi - Oct 6, 2010 at 8:48 PM

Absolutely. Watching Matsuzaka pitch is the only time I’ve ever actually fallen asleep during a baseball game. He’s frustrating to watch and he’s a disappointment given the hype surrounding him, but he still has real value as a pitcher. Getting rid of him shouldn’t be a goal for the Red Sox, at least in and of itself. Now, if they want to get rid of him so they can sign Cliff Lee or something, sure… but barring a major acquisition, they’ll keep him.

11. JBerardi - Oct 6, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Actually, now that I think of it, I fell asleep watching Matsuzaka face Daniel Cabrera. That was in ’08, when Cabrera walked 7.4 men per nine innings. That game should have been put on trial for crimes against humanity.

12. Pisano - Oct 7, 2010 at 1:06 AM

Great post , I’m thankful that I missed that one . On that note , there’s a real enigma ,Cabrera , great arm , strong , but couldn’t throw strikes . There’s nothing that drives a manager more insane than that.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win