Oct 6, 2010, 6:30 AM EDT
Liverpool FC of the English Premier League has agreed to be purchased by New England Sports Ventures, better known as the parent company of the Boston Red Sox. I’m going to refer to this as the Red Sox buying into the EPL, however, because it’s simpler and makes the story more interesting to me even if it’s arguably misleading. You want accurate news? Listen to NPR.
Anyway, you may recall that Liverpool is the club owned by former Rangers owner Tom Hicks. You may also recall that Hicks’ ventures into EPL ownership have been an utter disaster. It’s been claimed that Hicks’ adventures in English soccer had nothing to do with his problems with the Rangers, but even if you believe that, such adventures were evidence of some serious mission creep on Hicks’ part. You’d think that, based on his experiences, any other American baseball mogul/soccer novice would stay the hell away from the EPL.
But based on the linked story anyway, it may not be a bad move for the Red Sox. Seems that if the deal goes through they’d be getting the club for the price of the outstanding debt. Which, while still a lot of money, is way, way less than other EPL teams have gone for, and what Hicks reportedly wants for the team.
Which is also what may sink the deal. Hicks, the majority shareholder, is reportedly unhappy with the cut rate price to which the board has agreed. I know even less about English corporate governance than I do about soccer, but I’m not exactly sure how a board of directors can force a majority shareholder to give up his stake and, if he’s not doing so, how can one purchase a controlling interest in the team?
Oh well, that’s what lawyers are for. Or solicitors. Gosh, I hope this becomes a big story with baseball implications, because I’d love an excuse to start spelling things wrong (“Hicks won’t honour the agreement . . .”) and using phrases that my Anglophile friends use like “full stop” and “bloody.”
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 1
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)