Oct 6, 2010, 10:18 AM EST
A.J. Burnett getting bumped from the Yankees’ playoff rotation means the Twins will face a left-handed starter in four of five games, which is a definite advantage for New York.
In the regular season the Twins had a .776 OPS versus right-handers compared to a .736 OPS versus left-handers, in large part because Jim Thome and Jason Kubel both struggle against lefties and the Twins don’t have a good right-handed bat to sub for them.
CC Sabathia and Andy Pettitte starting four times lessens Thome’s likely impact, because for as great as he’s been this season his OPS is 400 points lower versus lefties than righties. Thome just isn’t JIM THOME against southpaws, and that’s been true for his entire career. Delmon Young, Michael Cuddyer, and Danny Valencia need to step up as the Twins’ top right-handed bats with Thome, Kubel, and Joe Mauer all at a big disadvantage in four of five games.
On the other hand, the Yankees’ lack of southpaw relievers plays into the Twins’ strengths in the late innings. New York’s bullpen has the potential to be extremely good, but Boone Logan is the lone left-handed option. He’s held lefties to a .190 batting average and .501 OPS this season, but also has a 5.10 career ERA. Even if Joe Girardi trusts him in key spots the Twins’ lefty heavy lineup will eventually get opportunities to face righties late in games.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (227)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)