Oct 6, 2010, 10:18 AM EDT
A.J. Burnett getting bumped from the Yankees’ playoff rotation means the Twins will face a left-handed starter in four of five games, which is a definite advantage for New York.
In the regular season the Twins had a .776 OPS versus right-handers compared to a .736 OPS versus left-handers, in large part because Jim Thome and Jason Kubel both struggle against lefties and the Twins don’t have a good right-handed bat to sub for them.
CC Sabathia and Andy Pettitte starting four times lessens Thome’s likely impact, because for as great as he’s been this season his OPS is 400 points lower versus lefties than righties. Thome just isn’t JIM THOME against southpaws, and that’s been true for his entire career. Delmon Young, Michael Cuddyer, and Danny Valencia need to step up as the Twins’ top right-handed bats with Thome, Kubel, and Joe Mauer all at a big disadvantage in four of five games.
On the other hand, the Yankees’ lack of southpaw relievers plays into the Twins’ strengths in the late innings. New York’s bullpen has the potential to be extremely good, but Boone Logan is the lone left-handed option. He’s held lefties to a .190 batting average and .501 OPS this season, but also has a 5.10 career ERA. Even if Joe Girardi trusts him in key spots the Twins’ lefty heavy lineup will eventually get opportunities to face righties late in games.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)