Oct 6, 2010, 10:18 AM EDT
A.J. Burnett getting bumped from the Yankees’ playoff rotation means the Twins will face a left-handed starter in four of five games, which is a definite advantage for New York.
In the regular season the Twins had a .776 OPS versus right-handers compared to a .736 OPS versus left-handers, in large part because Jim Thome and Jason Kubel both struggle against lefties and the Twins don’t have a good right-handed bat to sub for them.
CC Sabathia and Andy Pettitte starting four times lessens Thome’s likely impact, because for as great as he’s been this season his OPS is 400 points lower versus lefties than righties. Thome just isn’t JIM THOME against southpaws, and that’s been true for his entire career. Delmon Young, Michael Cuddyer, and Danny Valencia need to step up as the Twins’ top right-handed bats with Thome, Kubel, and Joe Mauer all at a big disadvantage in four of five games.
On the other hand, the Yankees’ lack of southpaw relievers plays into the Twins’ strengths in the late innings. New York’s bullpen has the potential to be extremely good, but Boone Logan is the lone left-handed option. He’s held lefties to a .190 batting average and .501 OPS this season, but also has a 5.10 career ERA. Even if Joe Girardi trusts him in key spots the Twins’ lefty heavy lineup will eventually get opportunities to face righties late in games.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)