Oct 6, 2010, 10:18 AM EDT
A.J. Burnett getting bumped from the Yankees’ playoff rotation means the Twins will face a left-handed starter in four of five games, which is a definite advantage for New York.
In the regular season the Twins had a .776 OPS versus right-handers compared to a .736 OPS versus left-handers, in large part because Jim Thome and Jason Kubel both struggle against lefties and the Twins don’t have a good right-handed bat to sub for them.
CC Sabathia and Andy Pettitte starting four times lessens Thome’s likely impact, because for as great as he’s been this season his OPS is 400 points lower versus lefties than righties. Thome just isn’t JIM THOME against southpaws, and that’s been true for his entire career. Delmon Young, Michael Cuddyer, and Danny Valencia need to step up as the Twins’ top right-handed bats with Thome, Kubel, and Joe Mauer all at a big disadvantage in four of five games.
On the other hand, the Yankees’ lack of southpaw relievers plays into the Twins’ strengths in the late innings. New York’s bullpen has the potential to be extremely good, but Boone Logan is the lone left-handed option. He’s held lefties to a .190 batting average and .501 OPS this season, but also has a 5.10 career ERA. Even if Joe Girardi trusts him in key spots the Twins’ lefty heavy lineup will eventually get opportunities to face righties late in games.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 5
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)