Oct 6, 2010, 10:03 PM EDT
The Twins are wearing the pinstripes this evening at Target Field. That’s not a metaphor, it’s the truth. The Twins are wearing pinstripes. Let’s get to the updates…
Francisco Liriano got himself into trouble in the top of the third inning with a leadoff walk to Yankees speedster Brett Gardner, who stole 47 bases in 56 chances during the regular season. Derek Jeter then followed with a sharp single to left field that fell just in front of Delmon Young. But Nick Swisher flied out, Mark Teixeira did the same and a strikeout of Alex Rodriguez brought the Minnesota faithful to its feet.
Twins second baseman Orlando Hudson punched a single into left field to open the bottom of the frame and then advanced to third base on a soft infield groundout by Joe Mauer. A passed ball one pitch later allowed “The O-Dog” to cross the plate and put the Twins up 3-0 after three innings.
Liriano rattled off a 1-2-3 inning in the top of the fourth, retiring Robinson Cano on a groundout, Marcus Thames on a flyout and Jorge Posada on a gorgeous strikeout. The Twins lefty, who fanned 201 batters in 191-plus innings during the regular season, is absolutely coasting through four innings against baseball’s most productive lineup.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)