Oct 6, 2010, 3:15 PM EDT
Jon Rauch was a question mark for the ALDS because of a late-season knee injury, but he’s healthy enough to be included on the playoff roster and that left the Twins to decide between Kevin Slowey or Scott Baker for the final spot on the pitching staff.
Baker, who was the Opening Day starter and went 12-9 with a 4.49 ERA in 170.2 innings, got the nod over Slowey, who went 13-6 with a 4.45 ERA in 155.2 innings. Neither pitcher would have filled a prominent role–Baker will likely be a long reliever or emergency option for extra innings–because the Twins picked Nick Blackburn as their fourth starter.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 0
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 10
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 1
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (95)