Oct 6, 2010, 11:02 PM EDT
So much for that Yankees lead.
CC Sabathia struck out Joe Mauer on three straight pitches to open the sixth inning and caused Delmon Young to fly out, but seemed to tire the moment veteran designated hitter Jim Thome stepped to the plate.
Thome walked with two outs, Michael Cuddyer doubled to left-center field, Jason Kubel walked and then Sabathia issued a bases-loaded free pass to Danny Valencia that moved Game 1 of this ALDS matchup to a 4-4 tie.
Sabathia is at 112 pitches and might not last much longer. Twins starter Francisco Liriano has already been pulled. It looks like this one will be decided by the bullpens.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 32
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 64
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 116
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 107
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (116)