Oct 6, 2010, 11:02 PM EDT
So much for that Yankees lead.
CC Sabathia struck out Joe Mauer on three straight pitches to open the sixth inning and caused Delmon Young to fly out, but seemed to tire the moment veteran designated hitter Jim Thome stepped to the plate.
Thome walked with two outs, Michael Cuddyer doubled to left-center field, Jason Kubel walked and then Sabathia issued a bases-loaded free pass to Danny Valencia that moved Game 1 of this ALDS matchup to a 4-4 tie.
Sabathia is at 112 pitches and might not last much longer. Twins starter Francisco Liriano has already been pulled. It looks like this one will be decided by the bullpens.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 1
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 134
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)