Oct 6, 2010, 10:41 PM EDT
The tide has turned at Target Field.
Yankees first baseman Mark Teixeira launched a one-out double to left field in the top of the sixth inning, ending a streak of 10 straight retired batters by Twins ace Francisco Liriano.
A wild pitch gave Teixeira third base and then Alex Rodriguez drew a walk. Robinson Cano, who had 109 RBI during the regular season, drove in Teixeira just a few moments later to put the Yankees on the board 3-1.
Liriano rallied for a strikeout of Marcus Thames, but Jorge Posada sailed a single to right field that scored A-Rod and moved the Yankees to a slim one-run deficit. Curtis Granderson hit a towering triple off the center field wall in the next at-bat that lifted the Yanks to a 4-3 lead and knocked Liriano out of the game.
Liriano finished with seven strikeouts over 5 2/3 innings. He allowed four runs, all in the sixth inning, and walked three. The Yankees lead by a run heading into the bottom of the sixth inning.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)