After missing history, Placido Polanco expected to rejoin the Phillies' lineup tomorrow

Oct 7, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT

After playing through bone chips in his elbow for most of the season Placido Polanco was absent for Roy Halladay’s no-hitter by sitting out Game 1 of the NLDS yesterday with a back injury, but the veteran third baseman is expected to rejoin the Phillies’ lineup for Game 2 tomorrow.
As for how he suffered the injury, Polanco apparently tweaked his back while getting out of his car Monday, although he was unsure exactly how it happened:

They asked me how and I really couldn’t say anything. That’s probably the only drastic move I made, getting out of the car. It was raining, and I got out of the car. And that’s it. But I didn’t slip or anything.

Not exactly encouraging words for Phillies fans considering Polanco is 35 years old and signed for the next two seasons. General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. called the injury “kind of freaky.”

1. mattjg - Oct 7, 2010 at 11:13 AM

I thought Amaro was out of line finishing the comment “like the shape of Polanco’s head.”

2. Hank_SJ - Oct 7, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Never ceases to amaze me how professional, well-conditioned athletes always get the goofiest injuries. Hurt my back getting out of a car. My neck is stiff from sleeping with the AC on. Slammed the car door on my finger. Sheesh.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2010 at 11:34 AM

“Not exactly encouraging words for Phillies fans considering Polanco is 35 years old and signed for the next two seasons”
    LOL Aaron…if you actually Phillies fans are worried about having Polanco and his creaky back for the next two seasons, then you do not have the priority list for Phillies fans. First on that list is what date will the parade be…will it be Friday, November 5th or Monday, November 8th. Everything else after that is a very distant second.

4. John_Michael - Oct 7, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Placido Polanco should stay far away from Halladay this offseason. He was not in the Phils’ lineup on 5/29 when Halladay threw is perfecto either.
    Courtesy of Yahoo!:
    S. Victorino cf
    W. Valdez ss
    C. Utley 2b
    R. Howard 1b
    J. Werth rf
    R. Ibanez lf
    J. Castro 3b
    C. Ruiz c
    R. Halladay p

5. Utley's hair - Oct 7, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Maybe he tripped over Brett Myers’s kid’s toys…?

6. The Rabbit - Oct 7, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Yeah. “Can’t pitch today. Had an accident with a hedge trimmer.” Bobby (Three Fingers) Ojeda.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3881)