Oct 7, 2010, 2:19 PM EDT
Last week the Angels surprised everyone by firing longtime scouting director Eddie Bane, who had just interviewed for the general manager gig in Arizona and is generally considered one of the best in the business.
Since then they’ve also fired prominent scout Dale Sutherland, three other scouts, and head trainer Ned Bergert. Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register notes that Bergert had spent 36 years with the organization, including the last 20 years as the team’s head trainer.
In other words, this is as close to a housecleaning as a team can get without actually firing any of the faces of the franchise.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)