Oct 7, 2010, 2:19 PM EDT
Last week the Angels surprised everyone by firing longtime scouting director Eddie Bane, who had just interviewed for the general manager gig in Arizona and is generally considered one of the best in the business.
Since then they’ve also fired prominent scout Dale Sutherland, three other scouts, and head trainer Ned Bergert. Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register notes that Bergert had spent 36 years with the organization, including the last 20 years as the team’s head trainer.
In other words, this is as close to a housecleaning as a team can get without actually firing any of the faces of the franchise.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 4
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 15
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)