Oct 7, 2010, 2:19 PM EST
Last week the Angels surprised everyone by firing longtime scouting director Eddie Bane, who had just interviewed for the general manager gig in Arizona and is generally considered one of the best in the business.
Since then they’ve also fired prominent scout Dale Sutherland, three other scouts, and head trainer Ned Bergert. Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register notes that Bergert had spent 36 years with the organization, including the last 20 years as the team’s head trainer.
In other words, this is as close to a housecleaning as a team can get without actually firing any of the faces of the franchise.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)