Oct 7, 2010, 2:19 PM EST
Last week the Angels surprised everyone by firing longtime scouting director Eddie Bane, who had just interviewed for the general manager gig in Arizona and is generally considered one of the best in the business.
Since then they’ve also fired prominent scout Dale Sutherland, three other scouts, and head trainer Ned Bergert. Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register notes that Bergert had spent 36 years with the organization, including the last 20 years as the team’s head trainer.
In other words, this is as close to a housecleaning as a team can get without actually firing any of the faces of the franchise.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (155)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (89)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (78)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (76)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)