Oct 7, 2010, 2:19 PM EDT
Last week the Angels surprised everyone by firing longtime scouting director Eddie Bane, who had just interviewed for the general manager gig in Arizona and is generally considered one of the best in the business.
Since then they’ve also fired prominent scout Dale Sutherland, three other scouts, and head trainer Ned Bergert. Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register notes that Bergert had spent 36 years with the organization, including the last 20 years as the team’s head trainer.
In other words, this is as close to a housecleaning as a team can get without actually firing any of the faces of the franchise.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)