Oct 7, 2010, 7:32 PM EDT
The Yankees and Twins are five innings deep into Game 2 of their ALDS matchup Thursday at Minnesota’s Target Field. So far, things are looking good for the away team.
Andy Pettitte had a rough second inning that saw him load the bases and then allow a run-scoring sacrifice fly to the Twins’ Danny Valencia. But he has since settled in and retired 12 straight batters.
Meanwhile Lance Berkman has improved his reputation among Yankees fans with a solo bomb to deep left-center field that put the away team up 2-1. Berkman batted just .255/.358/.349 over 106 at-bats after arriving in New York at this year’s trade deadline. A productive showing this postseason, of course, will make everyone forget about those struggles.
Twins starter Carl Pavano has pitched well, but the Yanks tend to take advantage of mistakes and the mustached right-hander has made one or two of those against his former team.
It was 73 degrees at game time in Minneapolis, yet another gorgeous night for baseball.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)