Oct 7, 2010, 11:01 PM EDT
Hey, someone scored a run in San Francisco!
Giants catcher Buster Posey led off the bottom of the fourth inning with a single off Braves starter Derek Lowe. Pat Burrell struck out swinging in the next at-bat, to nobody’s surprise, but Posey stole second and then scored two batters later when Cody Ross knocked a single to shallow left field.
Posey might win the National League’s Rookie of the Year Award for the .305/.357/.505 batting line that he posted during the regular season, and he has already put his stamp on this crucial NLDS Game 1.
Tim Lincecum continued his dominance of the Braves in the top half of the fifth, striking out his seventh batter and inducing both a line-out and a groundout. Lincecum, who had a relatively pedestrian 3.43 ERA during the regular season, is in Cy Young form at the Ballpark by the Bay tonight.
Lowe set ’em down in order in the bottom of the fifth inning, but the Giants lead the Braves 1-0 as we head to the sixth.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 52
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 61
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)