Oct 7, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
When the Giants announced that Barry Zito would not be in the NLDS rotation the assumption was that he’d also be left off the playoff roster entirely, and sure enough the team just made that official.
Zito is not on the active roster for the series against the Braves, as the Giants went with Jeremy Affeldt and Javier Lopez as their only left-handed relievers (although possible Game 4 starter Madison Bumgarner is also available out of the bullpen).
Aaron Rowand made the NLDS roster after many thought he was on the fence, but midseason acquisition Jose Guillen will join Zito on the sidelines because of a sore neck. Acquired from the Royals in mid-August, Guillen started 38 of the Giants’ final 48 games in right field, but hit just .266/.317/.375 while playing his usual awful defense, so injury or not his absence is the right move.
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 0
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 19
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 35
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 47
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)