Oct 7, 2010, 1:46 PM EST
When the Giants announced that Barry Zito would not be in the NLDS rotation the assumption was that he’d also be left off the playoff roster entirely, and sure enough the team just made that official.
Zito is not on the active roster for the series against the Braves, as the Giants went with Jeremy Affeldt and Javier Lopez as their only left-handed relievers (although possible Game 4 starter Madison Bumgarner is also available out of the bullpen).
Aaron Rowand made the NLDS roster after many thought he was on the fence, but midseason acquisition Jose Guillen will join Zito on the sidelines because of a sore neck. Acquired from the Royals in mid-August, Guillen started 38 of the Giants’ final 48 games in right field, but hit just .266/.317/.375 while playing his usual awful defense, so injury or not his absence is the right move.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 41
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)