Oct 7, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
When the Giants announced that Barry Zito would not be in the NLDS rotation the assumption was that he’d also be left off the playoff roster entirely, and sure enough the team just made that official.
Zito is not on the active roster for the series against the Braves, as the Giants went with Jeremy Affeldt and Javier Lopez as their only left-handed relievers (although possible Game 4 starter Madison Bumgarner is also available out of the bullpen).
Aaron Rowand made the NLDS roster after many thought he was on the fence, but midseason acquisition Jose Guillen will join Zito on the sidelines because of a sore neck. Acquired from the Royals in mid-August, Guillen started 38 of the Giants’ final 48 games in right field, but hit just .266/.317/.375 while playing his usual awful defense, so injury or not his absence is the right move.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)