Oct 7, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
When the Giants announced that Barry Zito would not be in the NLDS rotation the assumption was that he’d also be left off the playoff roster entirely, and sure enough the team just made that official.
Zito is not on the active roster for the series against the Braves, as the Giants went with Jeremy Affeldt and Javier Lopez as their only left-handed relievers (although possible Game 4 starter Madison Bumgarner is also available out of the bullpen).
Aaron Rowand made the NLDS roster after many thought he was on the fence, but midseason acquisition Jose Guillen will join Zito on the sidelines because of a sore neck. Acquired from the Royals in mid-August, Guillen started 38 of the Giants’ final 48 games in right field, but hit just .266/.317/.375 while playing his usual awful defense, so injury or not his absence is the right move.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 38
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)