Oct 7, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
When the Giants announced that Barry Zito would not be in the NLDS rotation the assumption was that he’d also be left off the playoff roster entirely, and sure enough the team just made that official.
Zito is not on the active roster for the series against the Braves, as the Giants went with Jeremy Affeldt and Javier Lopez as their only left-handed relievers (although possible Game 4 starter Madison Bumgarner is also available out of the bullpen).
Aaron Rowand made the NLDS roster after many thought he was on the fence, but midseason acquisition Jose Guillen will join Zito on the sidelines because of a sore neck. Acquired from the Royals in mid-August, Guillen started 38 of the Giants’ final 48 games in right field, but hit just .266/.317/.375 while playing his usual awful defense, so injury or not his absence is the right move.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)