Great Moments in fact checking: The New Yorker

Oct 7, 2010, 3:06 PM EDT

The New Yorker — a fine damn magazine even if I ended up reading more cartoons (“it’s a Ziggy!”) than articles when I had a subscription a few years back — makes a minor error in a story about the Red Sox buying Liverpool FC:

Major
League Baseball is a collusive oligopoly in which the team’s owners,
with the help of a salary cap, restricted entry, and an exemption from
the anti-trust laws, conspire against the players and the fans to enrich
themselves.

They had me until “salary cap.” Maybe they had best stick to, I dunno, opera reviews or whatever it is that they do best.

Oh, and a big thumbs up to SportsBusiness Journal’s Daniel Kaplan for being the one to catch this. I didn’t realize it, but apparently SBJ and the New Yorker are sister publications. Takes some big cojones to point out when someone in the company makes a mistake like that.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to write some hyper-critical posts in my personal blog dedicated to the destruction of Jay Leno, Brian Williams, Matt Lauer and Tina Fey.

1. Gobias Industries - Oct 7, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Don’t forget about Roker. It’s high time that sonofabitch gets knocked down a peg or two.

2. Lincoln - Oct 7, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Take him down, Calcaterra! He’s got it coming!

3. scjosh - Oct 7, 2010 at 3:32 PM

For the record, there’s a clarification at the bottom of the article now that, when mentioning a “salary cap” they were actually referring to the luxury tax, which the writer sees as a soft cap

4. Mr. Heyward - Oct 7, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Pretentious bastards can’t admit they’re wrong. You know, George Dub-Sack couldn’t admit when he was wrong either. Take that New Yorker! I compared you to Dub-Sack!

5. Simon DelMonte - Oct 7, 2010 at 3:51 PM

I can’t speak for the blogs and other online content, but in terms of the print edition, The New Yorker is still very, very careful. I have dealt with the fact-checkers at this magazine for 20 years in my professional capacity, and they nail down everything. I suspect if they run a story about George Washington, they call someone to confirm the spelling of his name.
    Also, don’t forget that their staff still boasts one of the finest sportswriters in America, Roger Angell. Even if he only writes on sports a handful of times a year now.

6. geoknows - Oct 7, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Anybody who thinks the (pointless and uselss) luxury tax is a soft cap has to be a Yankees fan.

7. scatterbrian - Oct 7, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I’ve enjoyed reading your email.

8. Tony A - Oct 7, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Well, when you add in that explanation, the synopsis looks pretty damn spot on to me…

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2817)