Oct 7, 2010, 9:14 AM EDT
Dave Brown at Yahoo! caught former Tigers/Twins/Jays ace Jack Morris saying something after last night’s Twins-Yankees game that, in addition to being dumb, was pretty damn hypocritical too. He’s talking about Francisco Liriano here:
“The good guys never let it slip away, and he let it slip away.”
As Dave notes, Morris isn’t one to talk, because for as long has he’s dined out on Game 7 of the 1991 World Series, he let plenty of post season games “slip away.” Click through to see Dave’s takedown of the winningest pitcher of the 80s.
Personally speaking, I’m not surprised Morris brought this kind of negativity to the party. I’ve mentioned it before, I think, but I will never forget the time I met Morris in person. It was 1984, and he was signing at a card show in suburban Detroit. Because my dad knew a guy, my brother and I got to hang out with Morris in a private room before he went out to sign autographs.
What do you say to the ace of the Detroit Tigers? If you’re a ten year-old boy like I was you ask him if he was pitching that night. “No,” he said. “Glenn Abbott is.” If you’re Jack Morris, you then go on to talk about how Glenn Abbot isn’t very good and how no one on the team is all that confident in him. And maybe they weren’t — Abbott was released and his career was over not long after that start — but it’s not the kind of thing a team leader necessarily repeats in front of a bunch of kids and strangers, is it?
Maybe Morris was being sarcastic or something and I just didn’t catch it. Maybe he was having a bad day. Either way, that has always colored my impression of him. And when I hear him come out and bury Liriano like this, it doesn’t do much to make me want to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Liriano’s game didn’t end that well for him. But please, spare me the “good guys never let it slip away” malarkey, OK?
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)