Oct 7, 2010, 9:14 AM EDT
Dave Brown at Yahoo! caught former Tigers/Twins/Jays ace Jack Morris saying something after last night’s Twins-Yankees game that, in addition to being dumb, was pretty damn hypocritical too. He’s talking about Francisco Liriano here:
“The good guys never let it slip away, and he let it slip away.”
As Dave notes, Morris isn’t one to talk, because for as long has he’s dined out on Game 7 of the 1991 World Series, he let plenty of post season games “slip away.” Click through to see Dave’s takedown of the winningest pitcher of the 80s.
Personally speaking, I’m not surprised Morris brought this kind of negativity to the party. I’ve mentioned it before, I think, but I will never forget the time I met Morris in person. It was 1984, and he was signing at a card show in suburban Detroit. Because my dad knew a guy, my brother and I got to hang out with Morris in a private room before he went out to sign autographs.
What do you say to the ace of the Detroit Tigers? If you’re a ten year-old boy like I was you ask him if he was pitching that night. “No,” he said. “Glenn Abbott is.” If you’re Jack Morris, you then go on to talk about how Glenn Abbot isn’t very good and how no one on the team is all that confident in him. And maybe they weren’t — Abbott was released and his career was over not long after that start — but it’s not the kind of thing a team leader necessarily repeats in front of a bunch of kids and strangers, is it?
Maybe Morris was being sarcastic or something and I just didn’t catch it. Maybe he was having a bad day. Either way, that has always colored my impression of him. And when I hear him come out and bury Liriano like this, it doesn’t do much to make me want to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Liriano’s game didn’t end that well for him. But please, spare me the “good guys never let it slip away” malarkey, OK?
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)