Oct 7, 2010, 9:14 AM EDT
Dave Brown at Yahoo! caught former Tigers/Twins/Jays ace Jack Morris saying something after last night’s Twins-Yankees game that, in addition to being dumb, was pretty damn hypocritical too. He’s talking about Francisco Liriano here:
“The good guys never let it slip away, and he let it slip away.”
As Dave notes, Morris isn’t one to talk, because for as long has he’s dined out on Game 7 of the 1991 World Series, he let plenty of post season games “slip away.” Click through to see Dave’s takedown of the winningest pitcher of the 80s.
Personally speaking, I’m not surprised Morris brought this kind of negativity to the party. I’ve mentioned it before, I think, but I will never forget the time I met Morris in person. It was 1984, and he was signing at a card show in suburban Detroit. Because my dad knew a guy, my brother and I got to hang out with Morris in a private room before he went out to sign autographs.
What do you say to the ace of the Detroit Tigers? If you’re a ten year-old boy like I was you ask him if he was pitching that night. “No,” he said. “Glenn Abbott is.” If you’re Jack Morris, you then go on to talk about how Glenn Abbot isn’t very good and how no one on the team is all that confident in him. And maybe they weren’t — Abbott was released and his career was over not long after that start — but it’s not the kind of thing a team leader necessarily repeats in front of a bunch of kids and strangers, is it?
Maybe Morris was being sarcastic or something and I just didn’t catch it. Maybe he was having a bad day. Either way, that has always colored my impression of him. And when I hear him come out and bury Liriano like this, it doesn’t do much to make me want to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Liriano’s game didn’t end that well for him. But please, spare me the “good guys never let it slip away” malarkey, OK?
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)