Jack Morris needs to rethink his postgame comments too

Oct 7, 2010, 9:14 AM EDT

Dave Brown at Yahoo! caught former Tigers/Twins/Jays ace Jack Morris saying something after last night’s Twins-Yankees game that, in addition to being dumb, was pretty damn hypocritical too. He’s talking about Francisco Liriano here:

“The good guys never let it slip away, and he let it slip away.”

As Dave notes, Morris isn’t one to talk, because for as long has he’s dined out on Game 7 of the 1991 World Series, he let plenty of post season games “slip away.” Click through to see Dave’s takedown of the winningest pitcher of the 80s.

Personally speaking, I’m not surprised Morris brought this kind of  negativity to the party. I’ve mentioned it before, I think, but I will never forget the time I met Morris in person. It was 1984, and he was signing at a card show in suburban Detroit. Because my dad knew a guy, my brother and I got to hang out with Morris in a private room before he went out to sign autographs.

What do you say to the ace of the Detroit Tigers? If you’re a ten year-old boy like I was you ask him if he was pitching that night.  “No,” he said. “Glenn Abbott is.”  If you’re Jack Morris, you then go on to talk about how Glenn Abbot isn’t very good and how no one on the team is all that confident in him. And maybe they weren’t — Abbott was released and his career was over not long after that start — but it’s not the kind of thing a team leader necessarily repeats in front of a bunch of kids and strangers, is it?

Maybe Morris was being sarcastic or something and I just didn’t catch it. Maybe he was having a bad day. Either way, that has always colored my impression of him.  And when I hear him come out and bury Liriano like this, it doesn’t do much to make me want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Liriano’s game didn’t end that well for him. But please, spare me the “good guys never let it slip away” malarkey, OK?

1. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Here’s what I can say, because I am not Jack Morris…”Liriano showed why the Twinkies didn’t get the same respect as the Phillies. Because the Phillies have 3 pitchers who are better than their #1 guy. And Halladay showed what you are supposed to do when staked to an early lead…give up no hits!!”(LOL I’m just kidding about the no hits part, but Liriano still choked away the lead…there no other way to look at it. Do you think Halladay or Lee would have done the same?)

2. Kevin S. - Oct 7, 2010 at 9:52 AM

If they were facing an offense as awesome as the Yankees, they might have. No pitcher has a perfect record in the playoffs, and you can’t judge any pitcher by just one game.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Yeah, just like Lee did last year in the World Series, right? If I recall, he was 2-0 against the Yankees offense. And yes, Lee had a perfect record in the playoffs last year and still has a perfect record in the playoffs. So does Oswalt. And now…so does Halladay.

4. BC - Oct 7, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Liriano is on fumes. He’s been awful in his last 5 or six starts, and he’s pitched the most innings in his career, 18 months after Tommy John surgery. He’s exhausted.

5. birdmancometh - Oct 7, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Also, why do you need to turn everything into a Phillies rivalry? The Twins and Phillies have nothing to do with each other. Congrats on the no-hitter and game one win, but damn, sometimes hitters get the best of pitchers. You’ll see it happen to one of the big three eventually this postseason even if they win the series.

6. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Twinkies fans were asking why they werent getting the same respect the Phillies were getting. They were talking to me about how they would be coming to CBP and watching Thome take Halladay deep. And they can’t even win a game with their ACE in game 1 staked to a 3-0 lead. That’s all I’m saying. Where are they this morning…they are in hiding. Aaron may not post anything at all…ever.

7. The Steve Jeltz Experiment - Oct 7, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Kevin’s right on. Halladay was otherworldly last night, but even good pitchers can get hit in the postseason. Liriano gave up four runs in the sixth to one of the best offensive clubs you’ll see, when he was pretty clearly gassed. Maybe he’s not as good as Jack Morris, and I’d definitely feel more confident with Cliff Lee or Roy Halladay holding a 3-0 lead in the sixth than Liriano. Then again, Liriano’s just 26 years old. In five years, you might feel as comfortable with him on the mound in a big playoff game as you do with Doc or Lee right now.

8. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2010 at 10:23 AM

The Reds led the NL in Runs, HRs, BA, OPS and were 2nd in OBP. It’s not like Halladay was pitching against the 2010 Mariners or anything. Plus, sure in 5 years Liriano may be the guy the man. BUt the way the Twinkies fans were talking, Liriano was going to be Halladay and Lee, and he simply was not. Neither was CC…walking in the tying run? Inexcusable and something you will never see Halladay or Lee do. He looked gassed and I predict he won’t be as effective when he gets to ALCS and especially World Series.

9. kander13 - Oct 7, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Hey Chris, who won the season series between Philly and Minnesota? And where were those games played?

10. Ryan - Oct 7, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Hey Craig Calcaterra, did you pitch 10 shutout innings in the biggest spot in the history of baseball? Black Jack brought Minnesota a World Series Title and is actually a pretty good announcer. Get off his back, in big games Liriano never shows up. If you want to blame somebody blame Gardenhire for picking Frankie to start is first ever playoffs game in that spot.
    Name a manager that has had a longer tenure than Gardenhire without a title??? There is nobody, it’s put up or shut up tonight for the twins because they blow against the Yankees and always will under Gardenhire.

11. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Yes, a little feistiness from a Twinkies fans…the Twinkies won the season series vs the Phillies 2 games to 1, including Stache Pavano throwing a gem vs Halladay on a Sunday afternoon, Father’s Day if I am not mistaken, a game I was at and was crying for a whole other reason. Now please beat the Yankers then the Rangers/Rays and we’ll have a nice rematch. I won’t be holding my breath though…especially after what happened last night.

12. mattjg - Oct 7, 2010 at 10:53 AM

But Morris didn’t pitch a no-hitter in the playoffs. Therefor we should all defer to Roy Halladay’s opinion on starting Liriano. After all, unless you performed well in the playoffs, you have no right to an opinion on which players should be playing in the playoffs, right Ryan?

13. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2010 at 11:17 AM

lolz @ “Hey Craig Calcaterra”

14. KarkoviceWasMyIdol - Oct 7, 2010 at 12:10 PM

And here I though CC was one of the good ones. But alas, he walked in the tying run.

15. Kevin S. - Oct 7, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Oh, you mean like the game Lee “won” because he caused AJ Burnett to melt down so he could get away with giving up five runs? Clearly, he would have only given up one if he needed to. Or the two times Oswalt gave up five runs in six innings in the playoffs. Clearly he should get credit for his team bailing him out the first time, and clearly it was his bullpen’s fault for giving up those last two runs the second time, right?

16. mcsnide - Oct 7, 2010 at 12:22 PM

What is it with retired players named Jack? Maybe he should have just called Liriano “poopy pants” and left it at that.

17. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 7, 2010 at 1:07 PM

LOL. Yeah, that was exactly what I meant. Lee + Oswalt + Halladay = 0 career postseason losses. Liriano = 1 career postseason loss in one start. Them’s the facts…sorry they don’t work for you.

18. Wooden U Lykteneau - Oct 7, 2010 at 1:13 PM

The real question is… What did Dennis Green think?

19. Giant Space Ants - Oct 7, 2010 at 1:32 PM

I always consult Don Larsen before making any decisions. It’s worked out pretty well, though I’m still a little peeved at him for making me draft Steve Slaton in the first round last year.

20. JBerardi - Oct 7, 2010 at 1:42 PM

That’s a pretty limited set of facts, buddy.

All the trade deadline news to know