Oct 7, 2010, 6:53 PM EDT
Diamondbacks outfielder Justin Upton played in only four games during the month of September and just one game in October because of soreness in the area of his left shoulder. He has promised to work on the strength and conditioning of that shoulder this offseason and got a head start this afternoon at Arizona’s Chase Field.
Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona reports that Upton felt no pain or discomfort while batting in an instructional league game on Thursday, the same game that Brandon Webb appeared in for two innings. Webb allowed three hits and two runs, again showing poor velocity on his sinking fastball.
Upton, 23, had a massively successful 2009 campaign, batting .300/.366/.532 with 26 home runs, 86 RBI and 20 stolen bases over 526 at-bats. That all led to some wildly optimistic projections for 2010 and Upton simply didn’t live up to the hype.
He’s still plenty young and immensely talented, and a healthy shoulder should only aid in his ability to get back on track. He should at 100 percent by the start of spring training in 2011.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)