Oct 7, 2010, 10:16 AM EDT
Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger reports that Oliver Perez “will begin pitching in the Mexican Pacific League next month” and adds that “if he does not improve and the new general manager cannot deal him” the team is prepared to simply eat the remaining $12 million on his contract.
McCullough’s comments stem from a radio interview yesterday in which Mets chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon said the following about Perez (and former general manager Omar Minaya):
Anybody who thinks I’m the general manager, do you think I really would go out and sign Oliver Perez? Or did I go along with what my GM suggested? We tried to get the best contract we could with him. It obviously hasn’t worked so far. So the new GM coming in hopefully won’t have the baggage of Oliver Perez being under his watch.
Wilpon also revealed that agent Scott Boras encouraged Perez to accept a minor-league assignment when the Mets tried to demote him in the middle of the season, but the left-hander ultimately would not agree. Instead he took up a roster spot while pitching in just three of the Mets’ final 57 games and fittingly ended his season by walking in a run with the bases loaded.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 20
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 23
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 66
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)