Oct 7, 2010, 10:16 AM EDT
Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger reports that Oliver Perez “will begin pitching in the Mexican Pacific League next month” and adds that “if he does not improve and the new general manager cannot deal him” the team is prepared to simply eat the remaining $12 million on his contract.
McCullough’s comments stem from a radio interview yesterday in which Mets chief operating officer Jeff Wilpon said the following about Perez (and former general manager Omar Minaya):
Anybody who thinks I’m the general manager, do you think I really would go out and sign Oliver Perez? Or did I go along with what my GM suggested? We tried to get the best contract we could with him. It obviously hasn’t worked so far. So the new GM coming in hopefully won’t have the baggage of Oliver Perez being under his watch.
Wilpon also revealed that agent Scott Boras encouraged Perez to accept a minor-league assignment when the Mets tried to demote him in the middle of the season, but the left-hander ultimately would not agree. Instead he took up a roster spot while pitching in just three of the Mets’ final 57 games and fittingly ended his season by walking in a run with the bases loaded.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)