Oct 7, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
Is it too late to take the Rays out of the playoff and put the Red Sox in? Because they’re really depressing to watch at the moment.
Anyway, let’s talk about the Sox some more. Here was Terry Francona today, when asked about roster decisions in general and Jason Varitek, specifically:
“I think there has to be a time when you put your emotions aside and you
talk about your team. Because if you don’t, you’re going to make
mistakes. I don’t want to do that, either. I’ve been around ‘Tek for a
long time, ever since I’ve been here. But I also want to continue to
That probably hurts if you’re Varitek or one of his many, many fans. But the Red Sox need to prepare for the future, not live in the past. Varitek had a better year than we figured he might at the plate, but he’s not going to be a part of the next championship Red Sox team, and the time for him to go is probably now.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)