Quote of the Day: Terry Francona on Jason Varitek

Oct 7, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT

Is it too late to take the Rays out of the playoff and put the Red Sox in? Because they’re really depressing to watch at the moment.

Anyway, let’s talk about the Sox some more. Here was Terry Francona today, when asked about roster decisions in general and Jason Varitek, specifically:

“I think there has to be a time when you put your emotions aside and you
talk about your team. Because if you don’t, you’re going to make
mistakes. I don’t want to do that, either. I’ve been around ‘Tek for a
long time, ever since I’ve been here. But I also want to continue to
win.”

That probably hurts if you’re Varitek or one of his many, many fans. But the Red Sox need to prepare for the future, not live in the past. Varitek had a better year than we figured he might at the plate, but he’s not going to be a part of the next championship Red Sox team, and the time for him to go is probably now.

1. SouthofHeaven - Oct 7, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Geez, the Rays lose one playoff game to Cliff freaking Lee and you’re that ready to write them off? Let’s give them one night to right the ship, at least.

2. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 7, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Um, dude — you got the game on right now?

3. Mr. Heyward - Oct 7, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Suhhereiously brah.

4. JBerardi - Oct 7, 2010 at 4:28 PM

“That probably hurts if you’re Varitek or one of his many, many fans. But the Red Sox need to prepare for the future, not dwell in the past.”

That’s really been one of the biggest problems that the Red Sox have had the past few years, IMO. Wakefield, Varitek, Lowell… even Ortiz to an extent… yeah, there’s plenty of warm fuzzies with these guys, but it’s the AL East, people. Going with your beloved veterans is simply a case of bringing a knife to a gun fight. It’s funny too, because the fans cry and moan every time the front office does pull an ‘Ol Yeller with one of those guys, and then immediately fall in love with his (far superior) replacement, and then demand that the Sox keep THAT guy on the team forever. See Beltre, Adrian.

5. Joe - Oct 7, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Varitek’s “better year than we figured” is totally a function of his getting hurt in June. He got lucky on a few swings early in the year. In June, he had a .570 OPS. Given the chance to play more games (and he would have, with Martinez hurt), Varitek’s OPS would have quickly dropped below .700.
    I loved me some Varitek in the mid-aughts. But I’ve been ready for them to move on for about three years now.

6. Pisano - Oct 7, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Good point , you’re in the midst of seeing it with the Yankees . Posada is basically finished , he can’t throw anyone out . I’ve been watching baseball all my life and I’ve never seen a supposed top team be run on like the Sox did to the Yankees . Four stolen bases in one inning , I’m sure it’s happened before , but I’ve never seen it . My point is as JBerardi states when it’s time for a change you have to make it . Terry Francona is one of the best managers in baseball , what he got out of one of the most injured teams in baseball is amazing . He’s as close to his players as any manager can be , but when it’s time you have to do it . Getting back to the Yankees , Jeter is next to be looked at , he’s in decline not a slump . Point being age gets us all , athlete or not .

7. JBerardi - Oct 7, 2010 at 5:24 PM

That has pretty much been the patter for Varitek the last two or three years– strong start, then two or three months at the end of the season where it’s just horribly painful to watch his ABs. While it’s still possible in my mind that he could turn in a solid performance as a platoon catcher (ie, without the wear and tear of playing ever day), the Red Sox really need to start putting younger guys into that kind of roll so that they can establish some kind of Catcher of the Future. I’d rather see Saltalamacchia struggle and even fail in that roll at this point, because at least there you’re TRYING to establish a potential building block. With Varitek, it’s just a question of how long you can ride that train before it comes completely off the rails (which could very well be immediately at this point).

8. The Rabbit - Oct 7, 2010 at 6:08 PM

“Is it too late to take the Rays out of the playoff and put the Red Sox in?”

9. SouthofHeaven - Oct 7, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Heh, nope, I was at work at the time. I thought the Yanks/Twins was on first today. My bad.

10. JBerardi - Oct 7, 2010 at 11:37 PM

I’m pretty sure that Carl Crawford has stolen four (or more) bases off the Red Sox [b]multiple[/b] times. Off of the aforementioned Jason Varitek, of course (and I think even Victor Martinez when he was struggling with his throwing early in the year).

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3640)