Oct 7, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Tampa Bay including Rocco Baldelli on the playoff roster was a surprise given that he logged a total of just 24 at-bats for the Rays after spending much of the season as a minor-league coach.
Even more surprising was that manager Joe Maddon gave Baldelli the Game 1 start at designated hitter against Cliff Lee. He went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts and now the Rays have removed Baldelli from the playoff roster, adding Willy Aybar in his place.
Mid-series roster changes can only be made as a result of injuries, and so the official reason being given is that Baldelli has “left leg fatigue.” That’s sure to raise some eyebrows, but Baldelli has a long history of health problems that have sidetracked his once-promising career on several different occasions and the Rays say the leg fatigue is related to his mitochondrial disorder.
Aybar is starting at DH this afternoon against left-hander C.J. Wilson. Baldelli is now ineligible to play in the remaining ALDS games or the ALCS if the Rays advance that far, but would be eligible to return for the World Series.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)