Oct 7, 2010, 4:36 PM EDT
There are a handful of intriguing names in the mix to become the next Mets GM at the moment. Among them:
- White Sox assistant general manager Rick Hahn, whom ESPN Chicago is reporting will interview with the team in the near future. Hahn was named as the top GM prospect in the game by Baseball America based on, I presume, his ability to work in the same office as Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen and not develop a drinking problem or something;
- Former Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes. I tend to think he got an unfair shake in Arizona and has some promise. Plus, Byrnes is actually still on the Dbacks’ payroll, so it would be a nice costs savings move!
- Former Indians and Rangers GM John Hart said that he’d be interested, but he’s been out of the GMs chair for a long time in a vague advisor’s position, and it’s not clear that they’d be interested in him; and
- Former A’s GM and current MLB executive Sandy Alderson who, many believe anyway, was the real brains behind the Athletics’ rise to respectability in the late 90s and early 2000s, not Billy Beane.
So, three guys — Hahn, Byrnes and Alderson — who would be nice pickups are on the Mets’ radar. One guy — Hart — who probably isn’t a smart choice is showing more interest in them than they are in him. That’s not a bad setup to have as you go into the interviewing process.
Why then do I have this feeling that the Mets will still screw it up?
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)