Oct 7, 2010, 4:36 PM EDT
There are a handful of intriguing names in the mix to become the next Mets GM at the moment. Among them:
- White Sox assistant general manager Rick Hahn, whom ESPN Chicago is reporting will interview with the team in the near future. Hahn was named as the top GM prospect in the game by Baseball America based on, I presume, his ability to work in the same office as Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen and not develop a drinking problem or something;
- Former Diamondbacks GM Josh Byrnes. I tend to think he got an unfair shake in Arizona and has some promise. Plus, Byrnes is actually still on the Dbacks’ payroll, so it would be a nice costs savings move!
- Former Indians and Rangers GM John Hart said that he’d be interested, but he’s been out of the GMs chair for a long time in a vague advisor’s position, and it’s not clear that they’d be interested in him; and
- Former A’s GM and current MLB executive Sandy Alderson who, many believe anyway, was the real brains behind the Athletics’ rise to respectability in the late 90s and early 2000s, not Billy Beane.
So, three guys — Hahn, Byrnes and Alderson — who would be nice pickups are on the Mets’ radar. One guy — Hart — who probably isn’t a smart choice is showing more interest in them than they are in him. That’s not a bad setup to have as you go into the interviewing process.
Why then do I have this feeling that the Mets will still screw it up?
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 47
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 31
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)