Oct 7, 2010, 1:18 PM EDT
Last night, with the Yankees up 6-4 and two outs in the ninth inning, Delmon Young hit a sinking line drive to right field that defensive replacement Greg Golson caught for the 27th and final out.
Except right field umpire Chris Guccione ruled that it was a trap, giving Young a single and giving the Twins a chance to tie the game with Jim Thome stepping to the plate.
Thome ended up popping out on the first pitch he saw from Rivera, so ultimately the blown call didn’t hurt the Yankees, but it very easily could have meant the difference in the game.
MLB.com has the video of the play and everyone’s reaction, if you missed it live.
This season has been a rough one for umpires and the fact that Guccione got the call wrong was particularly egregious because a) he was only on the field in the first place because MLB adds extra umpires for the postseason, and b) he was standing literally 20 feet from the play.
I was sitting (or standing at that point, probably) on the opposite side of the field, so the fact that it looked like a catch to me in real time obviously doesn’t mean much, but I can say that the majority of the Twins fans at Target Field assumed it was a catch and everyone in my section reacted in sort of a sheepish “well, I’m not going to complain if they want to give the Twins an extra out” manner.
Golson put it perfectly after the game, saying: “I’m just glad the play didn’t end up being bigger than it was.” Unfortunately we can’t always count on that being the case.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 31
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 91
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (93)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)