Oct 8, 2010, 3:33 PM EDT
Don’t blow it again, Pirates: say no to Van Slyke! Hire Barry Bonds for the manager job!
Andy Van Slyke, in town with fellow alumnus Dave Parker for a
season-ticket holder event, took the opportunity to inform president
Frank Coonelly about his interest in the club’s managerial opening.
Van Slyke acknowledges that he may not be an ideal candidate, what with no managerial experience on any level. But that doesn’t matter, because his philosophy is sound:
“I think it would be absolutely arrogant for any manager to come in
here and think he’s going to be the difference. [As if] by his mere
presence, he could be the one to turn it around. I don’t care if Casey
Stengel stepped out of the grave and walked into spring training, any
manager would need a pitching staff with an ERA and numbers that [the
Pirates’ staff] didn’t have this year. Everything begins and ends with
pitching. Until that aspect improves dramatically … it’s an unfair
expectation for anyone to expect different results here.”
This is pretty brilliant when you think about it. Van Slyke is freely admitting that he has no experience and going one step further in saying that, if he were hired, the team should not expect positive results from anything he himself does.
He still may not get the job, but man, if he does, he’s gonna have some awesome job security.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)