Oct 8, 2010, 3:33 PM EDT
Don’t blow it again, Pirates: say no to Van Slyke! Hire Barry Bonds for the manager job!
Andy Van Slyke, in town with fellow alumnus Dave Parker for a
season-ticket holder event, took the opportunity to inform president
Frank Coonelly about his interest in the club’s managerial opening.
Van Slyke acknowledges that he may not be an ideal candidate, what with no managerial experience on any level. But that doesn’t matter, because his philosophy is sound:
“I think it would be absolutely arrogant for any manager to come in
here and think he’s going to be the difference. [As if] by his mere
presence, he could be the one to turn it around. I don’t care if Casey
Stengel stepped out of the grave and walked into spring training, any
manager would need a pitching staff with an ERA and numbers that [the
Pirates’ staff] didn’t have this year. Everything begins and ends with
pitching. Until that aspect improves dramatically … it’s an unfair
expectation for anyone to expect different results here.”
This is pretty brilliant when you think about it. Van Slyke is freely admitting that he has no experience and going one step further in saying that, if he were hired, the team should not expect positive results from anything he himself does.
He still may not get the job, but man, if he does, he’s gonna have some awesome job security.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 21
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 12
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 20
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)