Oct 8, 2010, 12:05 PM EST
You guys are familiar with my Charlie Manuel-as-throwback fixation. I truly believe that he was sent here from, say, the late 40s, by some benevolent scientists in order to save us from ourselves. Sort of a reverse “Quantum Leap.”
I’m certain he has vast stashes of fresh beer made by breweries that haven’t existed in decades. I think he wrote the text for all the Burma-Shave signs back in the day. I would bet my life that he calls the couch “the davenport” and the refrigerator the “ice box.” He is a human time capsule, carrying wisdom and folkways in that head of his that Western Civilization has lost.
So I’m totally not surprised that his barber saw both Don Larsen’s perfect game and Roy Halladay’s no-hitter in person, the latter of which he took in after playing the ponies (“I caught a couple of winners”). In fact, I bet that the barber is actually Cholly’s sidekick, sent here by the scientists too. His mission: if anyone gets wise to Manuel’s game, he fixes to give ‘em the old dipsy doodle, see?
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40