Charlie Manuel's barber saw both Don Larsen's perfecto and Halladay's no-hitter

Oct 8, 2010, 12:05 PM EST

You guys are familiar with my Charlie Manuel-as-throwback fixation. I truly believe that he was sent here from, say, the late 40s, by some benevolent scientists in order to save us from ourselves. Sort of a reverse “Quantum Leap.”

I’m certain he has vast stashes of fresh beer made by breweries that haven’t existed in decades. I think he wrote the text for all the Burma-Shave signs back in the day. I would bet my life that he calls the couch “the davenport” and the refrigerator the “ice box.”  He is a human time capsule, carrying wisdom and folkways in that head of his that Western Civilization has lost.

So I’m totally not surprised that his barber saw both Don Larsen’s perfect game and Roy Halladay’s no-hitter in person, the latter of which he took in after playing the ponies (“I caught a couple of winners”). In fact, I bet that the barber is actually Cholly’s sidekick, sent here by the scientists too.  His mission: if anyone gets wise to Manuel’s game, he fixes to give ‘em the old dipsy doodle, see?

1. hnirobert - Oct 8, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Seems like something out of Lost.

2. Matt - Oct 8, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Good idea, telling the world about your knowledge of this plot. Now neither Charlie or the Barber can touch you for fear of confirming the existence of their plot.

3. Mike d - Oct 8, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Dallas Green also was lucky enough to see both in person. I wonder what the odds are.

4. Filmter - Oct 8, 2010 at 1:02 PM

BTW my dad says “ice box”, goes shopping at “the market” sees his movies at “the show.”

5. Utley's hair - Oct 8, 2010 at 1:09 PM

I can just imagine the banter while Chuck is in the chair. It’s gotta be priceless.

6. The Steve Jeltz Experiment - Oct 8, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Now that I think about, Chuck would have fit in perfectly on Lost.

7. Utley's hair - Oct 8, 2010 at 2:00 PM

I just got a mental image of him wrestling the polar bear.

8. The Ol Goaler - Oct 8, 2010 at 2:26 PM

In that match, my money’s on Cholly, see? (As far as using the Wayback machine goes, does calling the refrigerator “the fridge” count? The TV’s still “the tube”… even if it’s a flat-screen.)

9. Utley's hair - Oct 8, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Nope. I call it the fridge and I taught my kid to call it that–as a matter of fact, I wonder if he even knows what a refrigerator is.

10. RickB - Oct 8, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Charlie Manuel’s barber saw Larsen’s perfect game. Sal “The Barber” Maglie was the losing pitcher. Coincidence? I think not.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester