Oct 8, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
Let us chronicle the recent history of the position of President of the Los Angeles Dodgers:
- First Jamie McCourt was the President. She occupied herself, apparently, with questionable charitable endeavors, spending money on stuff that is plain loopy and hatching even loopier schemes to elevate herself to the office of President of the United States.
- Then Dennis Mannion became President of the Dodgers. He occupied himself with telling the press that the McCourts’ divorce had no financial impact on the Dodgers and that having Jamey Carrol be the team’s biggest splash of the hot stove season was all part of some brilliant plan. Oh, and in the meantime he sat for depositions in which he totally buried Jamie.
- Now Mannion has been let go and Frank McCourt has named himself President. That puts Frank in charge of baseball operations and means that Ned Colletti answers to him directly.
Kind of a bummer for Mannion. Used to be that you carried the boss’ water like that and you were rewarded with a nice cushy position. So much for loyalty.
As for the Dodgers, having Frank in charge is probably a good thing. He’s never let having absolutely no cash get in the way of acquiring big ticket items. With him having the final say-so on personnel I totally expect L.A. to sign Cliff Lee and Carl Crawford while trading for Prince Fielder, all with no money down.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 0
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)