Oct 8, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
Let us chronicle the recent history of the position of President of the Los Angeles Dodgers:
- First Jamie McCourt was the President. She occupied herself, apparently, with questionable charitable endeavors, spending money on stuff that is plain loopy and hatching even loopier schemes to elevate herself to the office of President of the United States.
- Then Dennis Mannion became President of the Dodgers. He occupied himself with telling the press that the McCourts’ divorce had no financial impact on the Dodgers and that having Jamey Carrol be the team’s biggest splash of the hot stove season was all part of some brilliant plan. Oh, and in the meantime he sat for depositions in which he totally buried Jamie.
- Now Mannion has been let go and Frank McCourt has named himself President. That puts Frank in charge of baseball operations and means that Ned Colletti answers to him directly.
Kind of a bummer for Mannion. Used to be that you carried the boss’ water like that and you were rewarded with a nice cushy position. So much for loyalty.
As for the Dodgers, having Frank in charge is probably a good thing. He’s never let having absolutely no cash get in the way of acquiring big ticket items. With him having the final say-so on personnel I totally expect L.A. to sign Cliff Lee and Carl Crawford while trading for Prince Fielder, all with no money down.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 37
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)