Oct 8, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
Let us chronicle the recent history of the position of President of the Los Angeles Dodgers:
- First Jamie McCourt was the President. She occupied herself, apparently, with questionable charitable endeavors, spending money on stuff that is plain loopy and hatching even loopier schemes to elevate herself to the office of President of the United States.
- Then Dennis Mannion became President of the Dodgers. He occupied himself with telling the press that the McCourts’ divorce had no financial impact on the Dodgers and that having Jamey Carrol be the team’s biggest splash of the hot stove season was all part of some brilliant plan. Oh, and in the meantime he sat for depositions in which he totally buried Jamie.
- Now Mannion has been let go and Frank McCourt has named himself President. That puts Frank in charge of baseball operations and means that Ned Colletti answers to him directly.
Kind of a bummer for Mannion. Used to be that you carried the boss’ water like that and you were rewarded with a nice cushy position. So much for loyalty.
As for the Dodgers, having Frank in charge is probably a good thing. He’s never let having absolutely no cash get in the way of acquiring big ticket items. With him having the final say-so on personnel I totally expect L.A. to sign Cliff Lee and Carl Crawford while trading for Prince Fielder, all with no money down.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)