Oct 8, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
Let us chronicle the recent history of the position of President of the Los Angeles Dodgers:
- First Jamie McCourt was the President. She occupied herself, apparently, with questionable charitable endeavors, spending money on stuff that is plain loopy and hatching even loopier schemes to elevate herself to the office of President of the United States.
- Then Dennis Mannion became President of the Dodgers. He occupied himself with telling the press that the McCourts’ divorce had no financial impact on the Dodgers and that having Jamey Carrol be the team’s biggest splash of the hot stove season was all part of some brilliant plan. Oh, and in the meantime he sat for depositions in which he totally buried Jamie.
- Now Mannion has been let go and Frank McCourt has named himself President. That puts Frank in charge of baseball operations and means that Ned Colletti answers to him directly.
Kind of a bummer for Mannion. Used to be that you carried the boss’ water like that and you were rewarded with a nice cushy position. So much for loyalty.
As for the Dodgers, having Frank in charge is probably a good thing. He’s never let having absolutely no cash get in the way of acquiring big ticket items. With him having the final say-so on personnel I totally expect L.A. to sign Cliff Lee and Carl Crawford while trading for Prince Fielder, all with no money down.
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 5
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)