Oct 8, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
Let us chronicle the recent history of the position of President of the Los Angeles Dodgers:
- First Jamie McCourt was the President. She occupied herself, apparently, with questionable charitable endeavors, spending money on stuff that is plain loopy and hatching even loopier schemes to elevate herself to the office of President of the United States.
- Then Dennis Mannion became President of the Dodgers. He occupied himself with telling the press that the McCourts’ divorce had no financial impact on the Dodgers and that having Jamey Carrol be the team’s biggest splash of the hot stove season was all part of some brilliant plan. Oh, and in the meantime he sat for depositions in which he totally buried Jamie.
- Now Mannion has been let go and Frank McCourt has named himself President. That puts Frank in charge of baseball operations and means that Ned Colletti answers to him directly.
Kind of a bummer for Mannion. Used to be that you carried the boss’ water like that and you were rewarded with a nice cushy position. So much for loyalty.
As for the Dodgers, having Frank in charge is probably a good thing. He’s never let having absolutely no cash get in the way of acquiring big ticket items. With him having the final say-so on personnel I totally expect L.A. to sign Cliff Lee and Carl Crawford while trading for Prince Fielder, all with no money down.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 107
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 47
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (108)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (77)