Oct 8, 2010, 10:59 AM EDT
Jeff Moorad was really polite about it, but don’t these comments about the Padres passing on Pat Burrell hang Padres’ GM Jed Hoyer out to dry?
“In retrospect, I wish I’d done more than relay Pat Burrell’s interest
in coming here.” Moorad said Thursday afternoon. “I’m not going to tell Jed what to do and I’m not going to push a
particular player on him. (But) in retrospect, I wish I had raised the
possibility to a different level.”
Hoyer was quoted in the article agreeing with his boss, saying that Moorad was right and, yeah, he wishes he would have pushed harder.
I guess the order in which the quotes were obtained matters here: if Hoyer first admitted that he blew it on Burrell, credited Moorad and then Moorad was quoted, fine. But if Moorad says it first, doesn’t that undercut Hoyer here? Isn’t it better for an organization to speak with one voice in such matters? “We made a mistake, in hindsight, in not getting Burrell. These things happen.” Moorad and Hoyer know the dynamic that went into the decision. Whose interest does it serve for the public to know that the owner and the general manager disagreed?
There’s a fine line between owner meddling and owner input, I suppose. I suppose that line is even finer when the owner has Moorad’s baseball background as opposed to the top guy being some car salesman or trial lawyer or something. I’m not sure I could restrain myself from trying to tell my GM to get this or that player if I owned a team. It’d be hard!
But I would like to think that I’d try to keep all of the sausage making in-house.
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 2
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 216
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (216)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)