Oct 8, 2010, 3:49 PM EST
Joe Girardi confirmed the assumed today, announcing that CC Sabathia would start Game 4 of the ALDS against the Twins on short rest Sunday if necessary.
Sabathia labored through his Game 1 start Wednesday, throwing 111 pitches in six innings while allowing four runs on five hits and three walks. Girardi had several opportunities to pull him earlier with an eye towards perhaps limiting his workload in preparation for the short-rest start in Game 4, but obviously that wasn’t much of a concern for the Yankees.
Sabathia has started six previous times on three days’ rest during his career, going 4-1 with a 1.52 ERA. He would face Nick Blackburn in Game 4, setting up a potential Andy Petttitte (on full rest) versus Francisco Liriano matchup in Game 5.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)