Oct 8, 2010, 3:49 PM EDT
Joe Girardi confirmed the assumed today, announcing that CC Sabathia would start Game 4 of the ALDS against the Twins on short rest Sunday if necessary.
Sabathia labored through his Game 1 start Wednesday, throwing 111 pitches in six innings while allowing four runs on five hits and three walks. Girardi had several opportunities to pull him earlier with an eye towards perhaps limiting his workload in preparation for the short-rest start in Game 4, but obviously that wasn’t much of a concern for the Yankees.
Sabathia has started six previous times on three days’ rest during his career, going 4-1 with a 1.52 ERA. He would face Nick Blackburn in Game 4, setting up a potential Andy Petttitte (on full rest) versus Francisco Liriano matchup in Game 5.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)