Oct 8, 2010, 3:49 PM EDT
Joe Girardi confirmed the assumed today, announcing that CC Sabathia would start Game 4 of the ALDS against the Twins on short rest Sunday if necessary.
Sabathia labored through his Game 1 start Wednesday, throwing 111 pitches in six innings while allowing four runs on five hits and three walks. Girardi had several opportunities to pull him earlier with an eye towards perhaps limiting his workload in preparation for the short-rest start in Game 4, but obviously that wasn’t much of a concern for the Yankees.
Sabathia has started six previous times on three days’ rest during his career, going 4-1 with a 1.52 ERA. He would face Nick Blackburn in Game 4, setting up a potential Andy Petttitte (on full rest) versus Francisco Liriano matchup in Game 5.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 9
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 10
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)