Oct 8, 2010, 3:49 PM EST
Joe Girardi confirmed the assumed today, announcing that CC Sabathia would start Game 4 of the ALDS against the Twins on short rest Sunday if necessary.
Sabathia labored through his Game 1 start Wednesday, throwing 111 pitches in six innings while allowing four runs on five hits and three walks. Girardi had several opportunities to pull him earlier with an eye towards perhaps limiting his workload in preparation for the short-rest start in Game 4, but obviously that wasn’t much of a concern for the Yankees.
Sabathia has started six previous times on three days’ rest during his career, going 4-1 with a 1.52 ERA. He would face Nick Blackburn in Game 4, setting up a potential Andy Petttitte (on full rest) versus Francisco Liriano matchup in Game 5.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (256)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)