Oct 8, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
Manny Parra was dumped from the Brewers’ rotation for a third straight season after going 2-7 with a 6.19 ERA in 16 starts and now Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that the enigmatic left-hander may have a torn labrum in his hip that would require surgery.
He’ll seek a second opinion before opting to go under the knife and interestingly Haudricourt writes: “Parra never mentioned he was having hip problems.”
Seems like a pitcher who struggled that much and was criticized by fans and media members as much as Parra would have jumped at the chance to use a legitimate injury related excuse for his performance.
Parra actually pitched pretty well after being banished to the bullpen, posting a 2.39 ERA and 41/16 K/BB ratio in 37.2 innings, and has the raw stuff to potentially be a late-inning reliever. Whether or not he’ll get that chance in Milwaukee is unclear, because the Brewers are probably pretty sick of waiting for him to live up to the potential at this point and hip surgery would likely knock him out for much of 2011 anyway.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)