Oct 8, 2010, 5:18 PM EDT
Manny Parra was dumped from the Brewers’ rotation for a third straight season after going 2-7 with a 6.19 ERA in 16 starts and now Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that the enigmatic left-hander may have a torn labrum in his hip that would require surgery.
He’ll seek a second opinion before opting to go under the knife and interestingly Haudricourt writes: “Parra never mentioned he was having hip problems.”
Seems like a pitcher who struggled that much and was criticized by fans and media members as much as Parra would have jumped at the chance to use a legitimate injury related excuse for his performance.
Parra actually pitched pretty well after being banished to the bullpen, posting a 2.39 ERA and 41/16 K/BB ratio in 37.2 innings, and has the raw stuff to potentially be a late-inning reliever. Whether or not he’ll get that chance in Milwaukee is unclear, because the Brewers are probably pretty sick of waiting for him to live up to the potential at this point and hip surgery would likely knock him out for much of 2011 anyway.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)