Oct 8, 2010, 5:18 PM EST
Manny Parra was dumped from the Brewers’ rotation for a third straight season after going 2-7 with a 6.19 ERA in 16 starts and now Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that the enigmatic left-hander may have a torn labrum in his hip that would require surgery.
He’ll seek a second opinion before opting to go under the knife and interestingly Haudricourt writes: “Parra never mentioned he was having hip problems.”
Seems like a pitcher who struggled that much and was criticized by fans and media members as much as Parra would have jumped at the chance to use a legitimate injury related excuse for his performance.
Parra actually pitched pretty well after being banished to the bullpen, posting a 2.39 ERA and 41/16 K/BB ratio in 37.2 innings, and has the raw stuff to potentially be a late-inning reliever. Whether or not he’ll get that chance in Milwaukee is unclear, because the Brewers are probably pretty sick of waiting for him to live up to the potential at this point and hip surgery would likely knock him out for much of 2011 anyway.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)