Oct 8, 2010, 11:05 PM EDT
Already a lot going on in this one.
The Giants were fortunate enough to survive an early scare, as Buster Posey and Pablo Sandoval collided attempting to track down a foul ball hit by Jason Heyward in the first inning. Amazingly, Posey managed to catch the ball and both players stayed in the game. It could have been a lot worse.
In the bottom of the first, Pat Burrell slugged a three-run shot to give the Giants an early 3-0 lead. Matt Cain tacked on a run-scoring single in the bottom of the second to push the advantage to 4-0.
What’s with all these managers getting ejected in the postseason? Don’t have one in five years, now we have three in two days. Bobby Cox added to his own record by getting the boot from first base umpire Paul Emmel in the second inning. Cox argued that Aubrey Huff pulled his foot off first base on a groundball hit by Alex Gonzalez. It looks like he had a pretty good case. Oh, by the way, Emmel was the same umpire who missed Buster Posey being out at second base last night. It’s either a vast MLB conspiracy, or someone needs to make a trip to LensCrafters.
We’re now in the bottom of the fifth inning, with the score still 4-0. Left-hander Mike Dunn has replaced starter Tommy Hanson, who gave up four runs on five hits over four innings. Matt Cain has struck out four over five scoreless innings for the Giants.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)