Oct 8, 2010, 11:05 PM EDT
Already a lot going on in this one.
The Giants were fortunate enough to survive an early scare, as Buster Posey and Pablo Sandoval collided attempting to track down a foul ball hit by Jason Heyward in the first inning. Amazingly, Posey managed to catch the ball and both players stayed in the game. It could have been a lot worse.
In the bottom of the first, Pat Burrell slugged a three-run shot to give the Giants an early 3-0 lead. Matt Cain tacked on a run-scoring single in the bottom of the second to push the advantage to 4-0.
What’s with all these managers getting ejected in the postseason? Don’t have one in five years, now we have three in two days. Bobby Cox added to his own record by getting the boot from first base umpire Paul Emmel in the second inning. Cox argued that Aubrey Huff pulled his foot off first base on a groundball hit by Alex Gonzalez. It looks like he had a pretty good case. Oh, by the way, Emmel was the same umpire who missed Buster Posey being out at second base last night. It’s either a vast MLB conspiracy, or someone needs to make a trip to LensCrafters.
We’re now in the bottom of the fifth inning, with the score still 4-0. Left-hander Mike Dunn has replaced starter Tommy Hanson, who gave up four runs on five hits over four innings. Matt Cain has struck out four over five scoreless innings for the Giants.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)