Oct 8, 2010, 7:09 PM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Pat Gillick has taken his name out of the running for the Mets general manager job.
Gillick is known as one of the most successful executives in the game, leading the Blue Jays and Phillies to world championships. Now 74 years old, he still works with Philadelphia as a consultant. The team granted permission for an interview and Gillick spoke with Mets COO Jeff Wilpon today, according to Rosenthal.
“It was a very positive conversation,” Gillick said of his talk with Wilpon.”
“I wouldn’t mind working again. I would like to work again. But I
prefer to work here on the west coast. If it wasn’t for that, I’d
certainly be interested.”
While Gillick has officially dropped out, former A’s general manager and Padres CEO Sandy Alderson confirmed to Christian Red of the New York Daily News that he will interview for the Mets’ general manager job next week. The team is also expected to interview White Sox assistant general manager Rick Hahn, former Diamondbacks general manager Josh Byrnes and former Royals general manager Allard Baird.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 40
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 43
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 37
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 36
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 86
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 92
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (95)