Oct 8, 2010, 7:09 PM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Pat Gillick has taken his name out of the running for the Mets general manager job.
Gillick is known as one of the most successful executives in the game, leading the Blue Jays and Phillies to world championships. Now 74 years old, he still works with Philadelphia as a consultant. The team granted permission for an interview and Gillick spoke with Mets COO Jeff Wilpon today, according to Rosenthal.
“It was a very positive conversation,” Gillick said of his talk with Wilpon.”
“I wouldn’t mind working again. I would like to work again. But I
prefer to work here on the west coast. If it wasn’t for that, I’d
certainly be interested.”
While Gillick has officially dropped out, former A’s general manager and Padres CEO Sandy Alderson confirmed to Christian Red of the New York Daily News that he will interview for the Mets’ general manager job next week. The team is also expected to interview White Sox assistant general manager Rick Hahn, former Diamondbacks general manager Josh Byrnes and former Royals general manager Allard Baird.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)