Oct 8, 2010, 8:01 PM EDT
We’ve got ourselves a ballgame, folks.
The Phillies just scored a pair on a bases-loaded single by Chase Utley, narrowing the gap to 4-2 through five innings. Just don’t blame Bronson Arroyo here. The normally sure-handed Brandon Phillips and Scott Rolen set up the two-run single by committing consecutive errors with two outs during the frame. Arroyo was able to escape further damage by striking out Ryan Howard swinging.
Roy Oswalt is done for the night. He gave up four runs — three of them earned — on four hits while walking one and fanning five. Brandon Phillips and Jay Bruce each hit solo homers. Excluding his final two outings of the season, this was his shortest start since July 24, which also was against the Reds.
By the way, Phillips is currently 3-for-3 with two runs scored and sits a triple away from the first ever postseason cycle.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 11
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 22
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)