Oct 8, 2010, 8:01 PM EDT
We’ve got ourselves a ballgame, folks.
The Phillies just scored a pair on a bases-loaded single by Chase Utley, narrowing the gap to 4-2 through five innings. Just don’t blame Bronson Arroyo here. The normally sure-handed Brandon Phillips and Scott Rolen set up the two-run single by committing consecutive errors with two outs during the frame. Arroyo was able to escape further damage by striking out Ryan Howard swinging.
Roy Oswalt is done for the night. He gave up four runs — three of them earned — on four hits while walking one and fanning five. Brandon Phillips and Jay Bruce each hit solo homers. Excluding his final two outings of the season, this was his shortest start since July 24, which also was against the Reds.
By the way, Phillips is currently 3-for-3 with two runs scored and sits a triple away from the first ever postseason cycle.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 39
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 53
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)