Oct 8, 2010, 10:25 PM EDT
Roy Oswalt was far from unhittable tonight. In fact, he gave up a home run to Brandon Phillips, the very first batter of the game. It’s all good, though, because the Reds forgot to bring their gloves to the ballpark.
The Reds matched a Division Series record with four errors, handing the Phillies to a 7-4 victory and a 2-0 advantage in the NLDS. You wouldn’t know it, but the Reds were tied with the Padres for the least errors in the league (72) during the regular season. Going further, Brandon Phillips, Scott Rolen and Jay Bruce are three of the finest defenders in all of baseball at their respective positions, yet they all committed errors tonight. Phillips, who went 3-for-4 and finished a triple short of the cycle, had two of them.
The Phillies will gladly take it, though. Just like Chase Utley took first base against Aroldis Chapman on a questionable hit-by-pitch call by home plate umpire Bruce Dreckman in the decisive three-run seventh inning. Utley barely reacted to the pitch, so we’re not talking about a Jeter situation here, but after the game, the second baseman was pretty candid with reporters, saying he wasn’t sure if he was actually hit with the ball. That’ll happen with a 102 mph fastball, I’m sure, but replays indicate they definitely caught a break. Again, the Phillies will gladly take it.
At least the Reds get to return home for Game 3 on Sunday, but they are staring elimination in the face.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 59
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 28
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (105)