Chase Utley did touch third base last night

Oct 9, 2010, 12:36 PM EST

As you know by now, Chase Utley did not get hit by Aroldis Chapman last night. That’s what happens when someone throws 105 mph and we don’t have instant replay. And yeah, Utley was probably out at second base too, as evidenced by this picture here.

One thing that we can clear up, though, is that Utley did touch third base before scoring the tying run. It’s a little tough to tell from the screen grab to the right, but Scott Rolen confirmed as much to Bill Singer of MLB.com.

“I saw him touch the bag. I take a look when someone comes around third,
and he touched it, Just the corner. But that’s all you need.”

I can understand that some are asking why Utley isn’t facing the same criticism that Derek Jeter did last month, but there is one significant difference between the two events. Utley didn’t even need to state his case on the hit-by-pitch, because home plate umpire Bruce Dreckman did all the work for him. Utley just put his head down and kept going. Nothing we haven’t seen before.

1. TheWizard - Oct 9, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I’m neither for or against replay, but baseball has worked just fine for a hundred or so years without it.
    Making a slow game slower isn’t likely to increase the fanbase.

2. SadPandaRevolt - Oct 9, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Yes, because umpires deciding post-season games is raking those fans right in.

3. kenbuddha - Oct 9, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Slower as in how managers walk out onto the field and throw a tantrum on those controversial calls? Yeah, that doesn’t take any time.

4. FrankZappa - Oct 9, 2010 at 3:03 PM

umpires should be abolished entirely, there is no need for them and they ruin the game

5. Riddering - Oct 9, 2010 at 3:30 PM

The umpire called the HBP on Jeter immediately. It was Maddon calling out the umpires v. Dusty doing nothing that made it a bigger deal during the game.
    Alas, that we won’t see a million articles claiming that Utley’s injury has made him washed up and he must fake his way on base!

6. NickT - Oct 9, 2010 at 6:42 PM

I disagree with the first paragraph. I’m pro-replay, but I seriously doubt any of those calls would have been overturned. Even with all the replays, it is not obvious if Utley was hit or not (and that animated GIF doesn’t really clear things up, either), so the play would have stood as called. For the play at second, I haven’t seen a replay that makes it obvious, either. The screen grab above doesn’t help because Utley’s foot may have already hit the bag and bounced up. And the tag (or not) of 3rd can’t be seen from the only angle available (I wouldn’t trust Rolen’s account of the play; as we well know, the people on the field get it wrong occasionally).
    There should be an “ump” in a booth to catch the obvious stuff the umps on the field miss, but if there’s any doubt, the call on the field should stand.

7. Route36West - Oct 9, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I believe utley when he says he felt something. That doesnt mean he got hit. If a ball whizzes by your arm as close as Chapmans did your going to feel something. So if the refs says it touched you then you take your base. Its not like Utley jumped around and faked an injury like Jeter. Everyone who is acting like they know what happened there is being bias. Its impossible to see in that picture if it grazed his glove or not. A ball moving that fast isnt going to change direction if it just rubs against you slightly. What do you want Utley to do say um I felt something on my arm but because it didnt hurt I dont want to take my base? Thats stupid this is baseball you get on base anyway you can especially in the playoffs.

8. ultimatecardinalwarrior - Oct 9, 2010 at 8:08 PM

but its so much fun!

9. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 9, 2010 at 10:13 PM

According to the massivley Pro-Reds announcers, there was no question that Chase missed the third base bag. and no question that he was out at second. and no question he was not hit by the pitch. They were about as one-sided of an announcing crew as you can possibly get…almost as bad as Hawk for the White Sox…least he’s paid by the White Sox. Look, Joe…we know you are a Braves bone hugger…but at least you can TRY to look a little unbiased. The most sickening thing…”Joey Votto-matic” Are you kidding me? Dude was 0-6 and he hits a sac fly and he’s “Joey Votto-matic” LOLZ.

10. schmedley - Oct 9, 2010 at 11:27 PM

As a Phillies fan, I can’t stand having Joe Simpson do our games as if he is some kind of impartial observer. I watch the Braves feed when they play the Phillies, and Simpson is a smarmy homer who takes little swipes at the opposition all of the time. That’s fine for a home town announcer, but he has no business doing national games. Ernie Johnson Jr. has Braves ties as well, but he doesn’t get on my nerves like Simpson does. I wish that crew was working the Phillies series. I think we’ve drawn the Simpson crew for 3 straight years. No mas.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5015)