Oct 9, 2010, 1:31 PM EDT
Freddy Sanchez was hit in the right hand by a Kyle Farnsworth pitch in the 10th inning of Game 2 of the NLDS against the Braves last night, but managed to stay in the ballgame.
Sanchez told Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle that X-rays on his middle finger came back negative, but said that he was uncertain about his status for Game 3 on Sunday. As Schulman noted, Sanchez appeared to be in “a lot of pain” as someone was helping him place a protective brace on his finger.
If Sanchez is unable to play on Sunday, Mike Fontenot would likely get the start at second base.
As for his teammate Buster Posey, X-rays came back negative on his ribs, according to Chris Haft of MLB.com. Posey was involved in a collision with third baseman Pablo Sandoval while trying to track down a foul ball in the top of the first inning. Sandoval is a big dude, but he doesn’t possess the rib-crunching power of Adrian Beltre.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)