Oct 9, 2010, 1:31 PM EST
Freddy Sanchez was hit in the right hand by a Kyle Farnsworth pitch in the 10th inning of Game 2 of the NLDS against the Braves last night, but managed to stay in the ballgame.
Sanchez told Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle that X-rays on his middle finger came back negative, but said that he was uncertain about his status for Game 3 on Sunday. As Schulman noted, Sanchez appeared to be in “a lot of pain” as someone was helping him place a protective brace on his finger.
If Sanchez is unable to play on Sunday, Mike Fontenot would likely get the start at second base.
As for his teammate Buster Posey, X-rays came back negative on his ribs, according to Chris Haft of MLB.com. Posey was involved in a collision with third baseman Pablo Sandoval while trying to track down a foul ball in the top of the first inning. Sandoval is a big dude, but he doesn’t possess the rib-crunching power of Adrian Beltre.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (119)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)