Oct 9, 2010, 1:31 PM EDT
Freddy Sanchez was hit in the right hand by a Kyle Farnsworth pitch in the 10th inning of Game 2 of the NLDS against the Braves last night, but managed to stay in the ballgame.
Sanchez told Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle that X-rays on his middle finger came back negative, but said that he was uncertain about his status for Game 3 on Sunday. As Schulman noted, Sanchez appeared to be in “a lot of pain” as someone was helping him place a protective brace on his finger.
If Sanchez is unable to play on Sunday, Mike Fontenot would likely get the start at second base.
As for his teammate Buster Posey, X-rays came back negative on his ribs, according to Chris Haft of MLB.com. Posey was involved in a collision with third baseman Pablo Sandoval while trying to track down a foul ball in the top of the first inning. Sandoval is a big dude, but he doesn’t possess the rib-crunching power of Adrian Beltre.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 41
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)