Oct 9, 2010, 1:31 PM EDT
Freddy Sanchez was hit in the right hand by a Kyle Farnsworth pitch in the 10th inning of Game 2 of the NLDS against the Braves last night, but managed to stay in the ballgame.
Sanchez told Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle that X-rays on his middle finger came back negative, but said that he was uncertain about his status for Game 3 on Sunday. As Schulman noted, Sanchez appeared to be in “a lot of pain” as someone was helping him place a protective brace on his finger.
If Sanchez is unable to play on Sunday, Mike Fontenot would likely get the start at second base.
As for his teammate Buster Posey, X-rays came back negative on his ribs, according to Chris Haft of MLB.com. Posey was involved in a collision with third baseman Pablo Sandoval while trying to track down a foul ball in the top of the first inning. Sandoval is a big dude, but he doesn’t possess the rib-crunching power of Adrian Beltre.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 7
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 44
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 83
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 68
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)