Oct 9, 2010, 1:31 PM EDT
Freddy Sanchez was hit in the right hand by a Kyle Farnsworth pitch in the 10th inning of Game 2 of the NLDS against the Braves last night, but managed to stay in the ballgame.
Sanchez told Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle that X-rays on his middle finger came back negative, but said that he was uncertain about his status for Game 3 on Sunday. As Schulman noted, Sanchez appeared to be in “a lot of pain” as someone was helping him place a protective brace on his finger.
If Sanchez is unable to play on Sunday, Mike Fontenot would likely get the start at second base.
As for his teammate Buster Posey, X-rays came back negative on his ribs, according to Chris Haft of MLB.com. Posey was involved in a collision with third baseman Pablo Sandoval while trying to track down a foul ball in the top of the first inning. Sandoval is a big dude, but he doesn’t possess the rib-crunching power of Adrian Beltre.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)