Oct 9, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
After Jay Bruce muffed the fly ball in the seventh inning of Game 2 against the Phillies last night, there were some beat reporters who speculated that he may have lost track of the ball because of the sea of white rally towels being waived at Citizens Bank Park.
Bruce cleared all that up after the game, telling Mark Sheldon of MLB.com that he lost the ball in the stadium lights.
“It was in the lights the whole time,” Bruce explained. “I tried to
stick with it to see if it would come out. It never did. It’s pretty
helpless. It’s embarrassing. I take a lot of pride in my defense.
There’s really nothing I can do about it. I wish for my team more than
anything that it didn’t go into the lights or that it came out and I
could have caught it. It didn’t happen.”
And to think, just a little over a week ago, Bruce was the hero for propelling the Reds into the postseason with a walkoff home run against the Astros. This game has a way of humbling someone pretty fast.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 13
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)