Oct 9, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
After Jay Bruce muffed the fly ball in the seventh inning of Game 2 against the Phillies last night, there were some beat reporters who speculated that he may have lost track of the ball because of the sea of white rally towels being waived at Citizens Bank Park.
Bruce cleared all that up after the game, telling Mark Sheldon of MLB.com that he lost the ball in the stadium lights.
“It was in the lights the whole time,” Bruce explained. “I tried to
stick with it to see if it would come out. It never did. It’s pretty
helpless. It’s embarrassing. I take a lot of pride in my defense.
There’s really nothing I can do about it. I wish for my team more than
anything that it didn’t go into the lights or that it came out and I
could have caught it. It didn’t happen.”
And to think, just a little over a week ago, Bruce was the hero for propelling the Reds into the postseason with a walkoff home run against the Astros. This game has a way of humbling someone pretty fast.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)