Oct 9, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
After Jay Bruce muffed the fly ball in the seventh inning of Game 2 against the Phillies last night, there were some beat reporters who speculated that he may have lost track of the ball because of the sea of white rally towels being waived at Citizens Bank Park.
Bruce cleared all that up after the game, telling Mark Sheldon of MLB.com that he lost the ball in the stadium lights.
“It was in the lights the whole time,” Bruce explained. “I tried to
stick with it to see if it would come out. It never did. It’s pretty
helpless. It’s embarrassing. I take a lot of pride in my defense.
There’s really nothing I can do about it. I wish for my team more than
anything that it didn’t go into the lights or that it came out and I
could have caught it. It didn’t happen.”
And to think, just a little over a week ago, Bruce was the hero for propelling the Reds into the postseason with a walkoff home run against the Astros. This game has a way of humbling someone pretty fast.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)