Oct 9, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
After Jay Bruce muffed the fly ball in the seventh inning of Game 2 against the Phillies last night, there were some beat reporters who speculated that he may have lost track of the ball because of the sea of white rally towels being waived at Citizens Bank Park.
Bruce cleared all that up after the game, telling Mark Sheldon of MLB.com that he lost the ball in the stadium lights.
“It was in the lights the whole time,” Bruce explained. “I tried to
stick with it to see if it would come out. It never did. It’s pretty
helpless. It’s embarrassing. I take a lot of pride in my defense.
There’s really nothing I can do about it. I wish for my team more than
anything that it didn’t go into the lights or that it came out and I
could have caught it. It didn’t happen.”
And to think, just a little over a week ago, Bruce was the hero for propelling the Reds into the postseason with a walkoff home run against the Astros. This game has a way of humbling someone pretty fast.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 15
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)