Oct 9, 2010, 9:30 AM EST
After Jay Bruce muffed the fly ball in the seventh inning of Game 2 against the Phillies last night, there were some beat reporters who speculated that he may have lost track of the ball because of the sea of white rally towels being waived at Citizens Bank Park.
Bruce cleared all that up after the game, telling Mark Sheldon of MLB.com that he lost the ball in the stadium lights.
“It was in the lights the whole time,” Bruce explained. “I tried to
stick with it to see if it would come out. It never did. It’s pretty
helpless. It’s embarrassing. I take a lot of pride in my defense.
There’s really nothing I can do about it. I wish for my team more than
anything that it didn’t go into the lights or that it came out and I
could have caught it. It didn’t happen.”
And to think, just a little over a week ago, Bruce was the hero for propelling the Reds into the postseason with a walkoff home run against the Astros. This game has a way of humbling someone pretty fast.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)