Tony Gwynn to begin treatment for parotid cancer

Oct 9, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT

Some unfortunate news to report.

Former Padres great Tony Gwynn told Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune that he will soon begin radiation and chemotherapy treatments for parotid cancer, a cancer of the salivary glands.

“I had surgery for a parotid tumor in 1997 and again three years ago
and both those times there was no cancer,” said Gwynn. “But this time
they found a malignancy. They took out three lymph nodes and did all the
tests and the results showed cancer in the parotid.

“The doctors have told me they feel they caught the cancer early and there was not much of it there.”

Gwynn, 50, said he had been trying to keep his cancer “secret” and was “pulling it off” because of his severe back problem. He took a leave of absence from his duties as a Padres television analyst back in August due to three bulging disks in his back.

The Hall of Famer speculates that the cancer may have been caused by his use of chewing tobacco, although a neck and throat specialist at the UCSD Moores Cancer Center told Center that there have been no studies showing a link between parotid cancer and chewing tobacco.

Determined to treat the cancer “aggressively,” Gwynn now faces seven to eight weeks of five-day-a-week radiation treatments and once-a-week chemotherapy treatments. He still plans to return as the baseball coach at San Diego State.

We’re rooting for you, Tony.

1. bbeer - Oct 9, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Nooooooooo not Tony Gwynn!!! Wish him the best

2. Mookman31 - Oct 9, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Very sad news, I wish him all the best. I remeber watching this guy play and desperately longing for him to be on my team. An absolute pro, a good college coach, and, by all accounts, a very decent man.

3. Dick - Oct 9, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Our prayers go with you Tony. Our best wishes and may God bless.

4. dugas0126 - Oct 9, 2010 at 3:09 PM

You could always hit the bad pitch, Tony.

5. Klingon - Oct 9, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Best wishes Tony. Every so often there is a baseball guy that makes you tell your kids, watch this guy

6. Jasonb - Oct 9, 2010 at 6:07 PM

I wish all the best to Tony Gwynn, he was a great baseball player and is a great guy.

7. passerby23 - Oct 9, 2010 at 6:48 PM

What worries me more than the cancer is the treatment. He’s getting heavy doses of radiation and chemo. The treatment is often worse than the disease. I hope he makes it out.

8. adam - Oct 9, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Nothing but the best for the best pure hitter I’ve ever seen play in my life. Here’s hoping…

9. f*ck la - Oct 9, 2010 at 10:44 PM

reading these posts u would think he was dead quit being so dramatic people

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS