Oct 10, 2010, 3:46 PM EDT
This series might be headed back to The Trop.
The Rays, pummeled by the Rangers in Games 1 and 2 back in Tampa, are now leading Texas 5-2 in the seventh inning of Sunday’s ALDS Game 4 in Arlington. Rays rookie Wade Davis fanned seven batters and allowed just two runs, looking mature in situations that required serious damage control. Evan Longoria is 2-for-3 with a homer and two RBI. Carlos Pena has an RBI and two runs scored.
The Rangers didn’t get the start they were hoping for out of youngster Tommy Hunter, who was pulled from the game after allowing three runs and six hits over four innings of work. Nelson Cruz homered in the bottom of the sixth, but it was a solo shot. A three-run deficit won’t be easy to overcome.
If the Rays hang on, they’ll tie the five-game series at 2-2. Look for a battle of left-handed aces in Game 5 with Cliff Lee going for the Rangers and David Price taking the home-field mound at Tropicana Field.
In the meantime, the Yankees will continue to rest their banged-up players. They swept the Twins on their own side of the ALDS and the ALCS doesn’t kick off until Friday night.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 12
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)