Oct 10, 2010, 3:46 PM EDT
This series might be headed back to The Trop.
The Rays, pummeled by the Rangers in Games 1 and 2 back in Tampa, are now leading Texas 5-2 in the seventh inning of Sunday’s ALDS Game 4 in Arlington. Rays rookie Wade Davis fanned seven batters and allowed just two runs, looking mature in situations that required serious damage control. Evan Longoria is 2-for-3 with a homer and two RBI. Carlos Pena has an RBI and two runs scored.
The Rangers didn’t get the start they were hoping for out of youngster Tommy Hunter, who was pulled from the game after allowing three runs and six hits over four innings of work. Nelson Cruz homered in the bottom of the sixth, but it was a solo shot. A three-run deficit won’t be easy to overcome.
If the Rays hang on, they’ll tie the five-game series at 2-2. Look for a battle of left-handed aces in Game 5 with Cliff Lee going for the Rangers and David Price taking the home-field mound at Tropicana Field.
In the meantime, the Yankees will continue to rest their banged-up players. They swept the Twins on their own side of the ALDS and the ALCS doesn’t kick off until Friday night.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 36
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 213
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (213)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)