Oct 10, 2010, 5:18 PM EST
Game 5 it is.
The Rays scored early and managed to hang on for a Game 4 ALDS victory on Sunday afternoon in Arlington, Texas, forcing a series-deciding showdown scheduled for Tuesday at Tropicana Field in Tampa Bay.
Rays third baseman Evan Longoria homered and hit two doubles, Carlos Pena had a double and a triple, and rookie Wade Davis struck out seven batters over a solid five-inning outing as the Rays rolled to a 5-2 win. Rafael Soriano finished it all off with a flawless ninth, earning his first postseason save.
The Rangers had their way with the Rays in the first two games of the series, taking meeting No. 1 by a score of 5-1 and the second meeting by a score of 5-0. But the Rays woke up on their flight to Texas and have outplayed the Rangers on consecutive days.
Tampa will send left-handed ace David Price to the hill for Tuesday’s Game 5 and the Rangers will go with Cliff Lee. It should be a wild one, especially if the Rays can fill their building.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)