And That Happened: Division Series Edition

Oct 11, 2010, 5:49 AM EST

You all are lucky I even managed to pull myself out of bed this morning after last night's Braves game. But I'm a pro, see, and that's what pros do. Now -- where are the anti-depressants?

Phillies 2, Reds 0
As advertised. Ugly games like Friday’s happen from time to time, but a
no-hitter and a two-hit shutout in the other two pretty much mean that
the “no one can stop the Phillies dominant pitching” narrative is a
sound one.  The Phillies used relievers for only four innings this
series. Brandon Phillips was the only Reds hitter who had a clue. Philly now waits to see which offensively-challenged team
from the other series emerges as the lamb for what is almost certain to
be an NLCS slaughter.

Giants 3, Braves 2:  I can’t even revisit this. My recap, of sorts, is here. My take on who’s to blame here. The question for Braves fans is whether this one is harder to take than the Leyrtiz game from the 1996 World series. My personal take is the Leyritz game was worse because (a) that Braves team was much, much better; (b) a win there meant that the World Series win was almost assured; and (c) I was a hell of a lot younger then and took the results of sporting events harder than I do now.  That last one is highly subjective, of course, so I will allow for the possibility that last night was the Braves’ version of the Buckner game and it will stick with a wide swath of Braves fans forever or something close to it.

Rays 5, Rangers 2: While no game in this series has been particularly
interesting, the overall dynamic of the Rays getting up off the mat to
even things up certainly is.  David Price vs. Cliff Lee in Game 5 on
Tuesday? Yes, please.

1. pcrm - Oct 11, 2010 at 6:08 AM

2. Spergler - Oct 11, 2010 at 6:31 AM

Um … Did you miss Game 3 of the Rangers-Rays series? “Interesting” describes it quite well. Exciting, even.

3. Proudly Canadian - Oct 11, 2010 at 6:59 AM

Put on a brave face Craig. Living in Toronto I grew up cheering for the NY Giants and then the SF Giants. That was before the Expos and Jays came on the scene. Go Giants GO. I can’t forgive Cox for deserting the Jays even though he had great teams in Toronto.

4. Route36West - Oct 11, 2010 at 7:26 AM

“David Price vs. Cliff Lee in Game 5 on Tuesday? Yes, please.”
    When I read the beggining of this line I thought you were going to end it alot better then “on Tuesday? Yes please” come Craig you could have crushed this. It could have been a goosebump inducing line. You got a slider right down the middle of the plate that wouldnt slide and you whiffed.
    This is an epic matchup in a loser goes home, winner takes all clash of 2 of the best pitchers in the game and “Yes Please” is all you could come up with?
    You really pulled a “Conrad” on this one.

5. adam - Oct 11, 2010 at 7:38 AM

The pitch to Leyritz was crushing. I still wonder why he threw him a slider every time I think about it.

I would argue it was much worse because of it being the World Series and it being against the Braves best reliever. It was also worse because, for some reason, it made people think Jim Leyritz was good.

6. Jonny5 - Oct 11, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Hamels allowed a whopping 5 hits Craig, not 2. Does that make you feel a wittle better? I think I heard last night, that the Phills Reds 3 game series went into the history books. Fewest hits allowed in a 3 game playoff sweep. EVER……

7. SDW2001 - Oct 11, 2010 at 10:14 AM

“Amazingly, the Phillies swept despite a team slash line of .212/.301/.273. They had 4 extra base hits the whole series. This isn’t a juggernaut just yet.”
    Hater. You clearly didn’t watch the games. The Phillies were incredibly dominant in all three of them, your meaningless stat aside.

8. SadPandaRevolt - Oct 11, 2010 at 10:31 AM

This is correct. Don’t you know that Getting 5 unearned runs to squeek away with a victory is the new incredibly dominant?

9. Jonny5 - Oct 11, 2010 at 10:44 AM

It takes a tremendous effort and much practice to be able to make a team eff up so badly when you need it. I guess the Phillies “Just know how to win”.

10. f*ck la - Oct 11, 2010 at 10:52 AM

spergler must be short for sperm gurgler

11. Old Gator - Oct 11, 2010 at 11:31 AM

You grew up rooting for the New York Giants? Aren’t you a little old to go beaver hunting?

12. Old Gator - Oct 11, 2010 at 11:38 AM

The Buckner game, which I still wear proudly at cocktail parties, is not comparable to the Conrad game. That was a blown World Series clincher. This was merely the dragging out of an inevitable doom, probably closer to – ready for a blast from the past, APBA Guy? – the Mike Andrews game. Let’s see if Conrad is forced to claim a sprained or something or other, turfed to the DL and sold off for Soylent Green like Andrews was.

13. soccermom17540 - Oct 11, 2010 at 12:31 PM

They took advantage of another team’s mistakes. Unfortunately for the Reds, despite errors and a slight offensive funk on the Phils’ side, they couldn’t take advantage.

14. APBA Guy - Oct 11, 2010 at 2:59 PM

An hilarious and obscure Charley Finley reference is always appreciated. But recall that the A’s won that series so the analogy is imperfect. Besides, I think the Braves injuries contributed to this disaster, whereas with Buckner and Andrews they were regulars. Brooks Conrad is nowhere near that ball if Prado is healthy and on third, with Infante then at second.
    Nevertheless, I expect an offseason post from Craig entitled “Shyster Agonistes”, on all the reasons why Bobby Cox’s soul will forever be tortured and unable to rest, and Craig’s with it.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5532)