Oct 11, 2010, 7:01 PM EDT
Here’s a little news item while we await the start of Game 4 between the Giants and Braves.
Reflecting on a season that resulted in the first All-Star selection of his career and a trip to the postseason, Arthur Rhodes told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com today that he is interested in returning to the Reds next season.
“I already told them that I want to come back, that I’d love to come
back,” Rhodes said. “I’ve had a wonderful time here. I’ve enjoyed
myself. We’ll see what happens in the offseason.”
Rhodes, who turns 41 later this month, posted a 2.41 ERA in 135 appearances over the length of his two-year, $4 million contract with the Reds. The veteran left-hander tied a major league record with 33 consecutive scoreless appearances earlier this season.
Rhodes projects to be a Type A free agent this winter, but offering arbitration isn’t necessarily a given. Many teams will be unwilling to surrender a first round pick in order to sign a reliever, so there’s always the chance that he could accept arbitration, sticking the Reds with a pretty hefty contract for an aging left-hander who was bothered by plantar fasciitis throughout the 2010 season.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 16
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)