Oct 11, 2010, 7:01 PM EDT
Here’s a little news item while we await the start of Game 4 between the Giants and Braves.
Reflecting on a season that resulted in the first All-Star selection of his career and a trip to the postseason, Arthur Rhodes told Mark Sheldon of MLB.com today that he is interested in returning to the Reds next season.
“I already told them that I want to come back, that I’d love to come
back,” Rhodes said. “I’ve had a wonderful time here. I’ve enjoyed
myself. We’ll see what happens in the offseason.”
Rhodes, who turns 41 later this month, posted a 2.41 ERA in 135 appearances over the length of his two-year, $4 million contract with the Reds. The veteran left-hander tied a major league record with 33 consecutive scoreless appearances earlier this season.
Rhodes projects to be a Type A free agent this winter, but offering arbitration isn’t necessarily a given. Many teams will be unwilling to surrender a first round pick in order to sign a reliever, so there’s always the chance that he could accept arbitration, sticking the Reds with a pretty hefty contract for an aging left-hander who was bothered by plantar fasciitis throughout the 2010 season.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 0
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 167
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (166)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)