Oct 11, 2010, 5:59 PM EDT
Jeff Fletcher of FanHouse is at Turner Field and he just tweeted that fans just gave Brooks Conrad a standing ovation as he stood in the outfield during batting practice.
That makes me happy.
Braves fans, as I have said on numerous occasion, are not the best fans in the world. They have to be cajoled to show up. They have to be cajoled into cheering. In some ways they’re worse than fair weather fans because they don’t even show up in fair weather unless it’s seen as the fashionable thing to do. And don’t even get me started on the Chop. Dear GOD I hate the Chop.
But they’re decent people for the most part. They don’t boo guys. That might offend a lot of you because, hey, sometimes people need booin’, but it fits my temperament just fine. They generally understand that athletes are human beings with their own lives and stresses and concerns. It’s hard to get amped up for a Braves game in that environment, but it’s nice to know that the person sitting next to you is probably a decent human being.
Still stinging over the Conrad play. Ready and willing to let it go though and hope for the best tonight. Glad to see the fans in Atlanta giving him a warm reception so far.
I’m sure I’ll be posting after the game tonight. Talk to you then.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)