Cody Ross pushes Giants ahead of Braves in seventh inning

Oct 11, 2010, 9:49 PM EDT

Some more to-and-fro in this one.

Derek Lowe got Freddy Sanchez to ground out to begin the top of the seventh inning, but was pulled in favor of Peter Moylan after loading the bases. Juan Uribe followed with a groundball to Alex Gonzalez, who pulled Omar Infante off the second base bag with the throw (though replays were inconclusive), forcing in the tying run. Gonzalez, one of the best defensive shortstops in baseball, has two errors so far tonight.

Braves manager Bobby Cox then brought in left-hander Johnny Venters, who struck out Aaron Rowand for the second out, but allowed a single to Cody Ross to give the Giants a 3-2 lead. It could have been a lot worse for the Braves, as Brian McCann was able to hang on to the relay throw from Matt Diaz to snuff out Pat Burrell at home plate and end the inning.

Frankly, I was a little surprised to see Cody Ross facing Venters in that situation. Ross has earned a reputation as a lefty-killer in his career. Granted, McCann prevented an even bigger inning with a fantastic block of home plate, but Cox may regret using a left-hander there.

It’s currently 3-2 as the game moves to the top of the eighth inning.

1. Filmter - Oct 11, 2010 at 10:00 PM

giants BA this series
    torres .125
    sanchez .125
    huff. 214
    posey. 400
    burrell. 200
    uribe. 071
    fontenot. 167
    ross .286
    weak. SF is lucky to be leading anything. Pitching continues to carry em.

2. nps6724 - Oct 11, 2010 at 10:22 PM

I hope the Phillies sweep the Giants, winning every game 10-0. I hate the Phillies but screw the Giants. Every single close call this series went their way, whether it was balls or strikes, whether it was safe or out, whether it was right or wrong.

3. Filmter - Oct 11, 2010 at 10:39 PM

sour grapes.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 11, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Giants – Phillies. Lincecum vs Halladay. I am pumped for this series. All the BS aside, this is going to be an awesome series. I think the Phillies win it in 6, with Hamels and Blanton losing in SF, while the Roys go 4-0. Congrats on a great season Braves fans.

5. Utley's hair - Oct 11, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Well, it’s over. Bobby Cox has managed his last game–at least as the Braves chief. My condolences Craig, nps6724, Mr. Heyward and the rest of the Bravos fans who frequent this blog.

That said, I hope Craig doesn’t use this loss to lash out at any other fanbases again. Grieving ia a natural thing, Craig, and anger is part of the grieving process. But, lashing out like you did before is not cool. Call me a touchy and insecure Phightins Phan if you want–I really don’t care.

6. Utley's hair - Oct 11, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Lincecum is Opera Man, right?

7. Old Gator - Oct 11, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Gimme an F!
    Gimme an E!
    Gimme an E!
    Gimme an S!
    Gimme an H!
    What’s that spell?
    Feesh!
    What’s that spell?
    Feesh!
    What’s that spell?
    Feesh!
    I doubt if Scrooge McLoria intended to do either Cody Ross or the Giants any favors, but that’s the way it turned out. Great timely hitting by the Netsuke. Kinda wish I’d stayed put in The City another couple of days and gone down to some sports bar with APBA Guy to watch this one play out with a non-alky brew and a gut-gumming bratworst loaded with onions, relish and mustard.
    Craig, I feel your pain. However, I’m going to take an aspirin because, frankly, your pain is none of my business.

8. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 11, 2010 at 10:48 PM

I said it on another blog post and I’ll say it here…Craig is not a true fan. He likes the Braves, but tomorrow, he’ll be grumpy for a while, then he’ll write a few articles and be fine. He is not like us…he doesn’t live and die with the Braves. He can write whatever he wants about Yankers fans or Phillies fans because he doesn’t know what it is like to lose a night’s sleep when your team loses or be grumpy not for a night but for a month when your team loses in the World Series. Maybe he once did, but not that he is a big time blog writer under the NBC umbrella, he obviously doesn’t care as much. Why else would he say the following “If they win, I’ll be happy and if they lose, I’ll be grumpy for a little while, then be over it” Huh? That’s not fandom…that is “liking a team”

9. Proudly Canadian - Oct 11, 2010 at 10:48 PM

The braves will just have to make out without their Cox.

10. Filmter - Oct 11, 2010 at 10:50 PM

ATL could have won all four of these games but simply couldn’t stop striking out with runners on base.
    Neither PHI or SF are hitting great right now but PHI has the edge. Gonna be a good series.

11. Old Gator - Oct 11, 2010 at 10:54 PM

But then there’s nothing wrong with being a touchy and insecure Phightins Phan. Nietzsche made it clear that good and evil are just inventions of the weak meant to infect the strong with a sense of guilt and insecurity. I’m glad you didn’t but into that. But those horrible horsemeat and velveeta sandwiches will still kill you, so if you’re going to the games, make sure to pick up some soy substitutes at the Happy Carrot on the way to the train.
    But all kidding aside – well, maybe just some kidding aside, anyway – that Halladay-Lincecum faceoff has all kinds of classic potential. Otherwise, I think the Feelies are going to treat the hitless wonders from the seismic zone the way the Donner Party treated their pack mules – and you know how badly they’ll want to pick their teeth with the Borg when they’re done, don’t ya?

12. Old Gator - Oct 11, 2010 at 10:55 PM

I’ve used up all my beaver jokes. And just in time, too.

13. nps6724 - Oct 11, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Not at all. Just tired of umpires deciding games. I’d love to know how many balls the home plate umps called strikes for the Giants this series. I bet it’s the majority of their total missed pitches.

14. Old Gator - Oct 11, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Gonna be a massacre to rival Wounded Knee.

15. Proudly Canadian - Oct 11, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Craig will survive. It is the Braves I worry about. In the future, can they make out without Cox?

16. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 11, 2010 at 11:00 PM

nps…there’s a time to whine and a time to tip your hat. You need to settle down, get a good night sleep, and in the morning tip your hat. But be pissed for the next two months…you are a fan. Unlike Craig, you won’t get over it by being grumpy for a night. But don’t blame the umps…this was a hard fought series on both sides.

17. Citi Field Urinal - Oct 11, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Ugh, the “One True Scotsman” fallacy in fan form.
    How does not brooding over a loss make Craig any less of a Braves fan?

18. nps6724 - Oct 11, 2010 at 11:15 PM

The Giants played like crap, as did the Braves. Both teams made a ton of defensive mistakes and neither could hit a lick. The only good thing either did was pitch fantastically.

All 4 games were decided by 1 run. 2 of the Giants’ winning runs came off close calls by umps, both which went in the Giants favor. 1 was already proven to be wrong and the other tonight was extremely close and looked to be wrong as well.

19. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 11, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Utley, don’t you know…Craig is a husband and a father and a son and a blah blah first and a sports fan last. Oh, and somewhere above being a sports fan, is being a complete a-hole to fans of the Phillies and Yankers and other fan bases. But shhhh…you aren’t allowed to tell him that because he is a father and a husband and a son and a blah blah. Don’t you know…baseball doesn’t mean anything. It is just a stupid game. You just shouldn’t care so much.

20. nps6724 - Oct 11, 2010 at 11:23 PM

And you wonder why Philly fans are talked of poorly.

21. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 11, 2010 at 11:27 PM

I’m sick of Craig ripping Phillies fans. He wants to rip us like he does, then he is going to get ripped himself. I’m sick of the BS from him saying we are lacking humility when we are just confident. Then we say one thing and we are insecure. Which is it then…insecure or lacking humility? Then he pulls the “Family over Sports” card on me, which is even more BS.

22. nps6724 - Oct 11, 2010 at 11:36 PM

You can be both, you know. Which many are.

23. scatterbrian - Oct 11, 2010 at 11:47 PM

That was a great block by McCann, but Diaz’s throw was pretty awesome too. Sure Burrell ain’t the fleetest of foot, but Diaz put the ball right into the slide.

24. Filmter - Oct 12, 2010 at 12:19 AM

Gator, I grow weary of the Dennis Miller style historical references, and Wounded Knee would be funnier an anecdote if Cleveland were playing the series in question.

25. Old Gator - Oct 12, 2010 at 9:10 AM

If weariness afflicts you, try slurping a can of Red Bull. But I agree with one thing you whined about: the idea of Cleveland in the playoffs is pretty funny. The idea of Cleveland in general is pretty funny, even without Harvey Pekar. There’s a reason why Howard the Duck moved there.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate