Josh Lewin won't be back as Rangers' play-by-play announcer

Oct 11, 2010, 4:16 PM EDT

Rangers television analyst Tom Grieve has agreed to a three-year contract extension, but the team announced today that play-by-play man Josh Lewin will not be back after nine seasons on the job.
Lewin and the Rangers seem to have parted ways on good terms, but he’s generally considered one of the best in the business and letting him go is certainly curious. Lewin also does national games for FOX and is the San Diego Chargers’ announcer, so the Rangers may have wanted someone available to them exclusively.
I’ve often tuned into Rangers’ games specifically because I enjoyed the Lewin-Grieve pairing and as a Minnesotan would gladly pay several hundred dollars per season to have Lewin announce Twins games. He’s smart and funny, and had an excellent on-air chemistry with Grieve. I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t land another prominent play-by-play gig and wouldn’t be surprised if leaving the Rangers led to a higher-profile position.

1. Lateral-Symmetry - Oct 11, 2010 at 4:25 PM

As someone who purchases the Extra Innings package each summer, I often find myself picking what game I’m watching based on which announcers I can get. This means lots of Dodgers (Scully), Giants (Krukow and Kuiper), and recently, Rangers. Here’s hoping that Lewin’s absence from Texas broadcasts doesn’t keep him away from baseball altogether. I can think of many teams (Arizona for one very easy, obvious, desperate example) that could use him.

2. Giant Space Ants - Oct 11, 2010 at 5:01 PM

This news sucks. At least the rest of the weekend went well for Rangers fans. Oh, wait…

3. Infield Fly - Oct 11, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Big Bummer. I lived in TX for a number of years and my wife and I loved Lewin and Grieve for Rangers games. I too have the Extra Innings package and watch based a lot on announcers (especially this year, since I’m a Tribe fan and they were often unwatchable). Scully, Krukow and Kuiper, Lewin and Grieve–probably my top 3.

4. RichardInBigD - Oct 11, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Don’t be shocked if this Rangers free agent lands where so many ex-Rangers stars do, in the Bronx, although I can’t really see Josh saying very many nice things about A-Roid and Tex…

5. BaseballGirl - Oct 12, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Not a chance he’ll replace Michael Kay on YES.
    Personally, I’m thrilled about this news. I’ve been griping for a long time about how horrible he is. Nothing personal against the man or against his “entertaining” style, I just didn’t find him entertaining, but more annoying and rambling. It was especially brutal watching as an opposing fan, listening to him butchering names, facts, and more about the other team.

6. doctorfunke - Oct 12, 2010 at 1:21 PM

A backhanded dig at Dick and/or Bert, or just a compliment for Lewin?

7. Famijoly - Oct 13, 2010 at 4:03 PM

BaseballGirl, you took the words right off my keyboard. Josh seems like a friendly enough guy but his timing is poor as to the ebb and flow of a baseball game, plus the other things you mentioned. In short, Josh is not that good, yet still seems to get a few national gigs. With the Astros, we have Bill Brown and Jim Deshaies, who provide an informative yet easy-to-listen-to coverage of a game. Their attempts at entertainment are usually good because they are kept low-key and in the context of the game itself. Brownie especially is a consummate professional who covers all the bases ahead of time — pronunciation, history, etc.
    As for the Rangers, with the huge deal they just put together with Fox Sports Southwest and the club’s newfound commitment toward a championship, they will have no problem attracting the interest of highly capable play-by-play announcers.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto