Oct 11, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Hey, if you don’t ask for it, you’re never going to get it, right? SportsBusiness Journal reporting:
Mark Cuban and Jim Crane want payment of $2.65 million in legal fees and
other expenses stemming from their failed bankruptcy bid for the Texas
Rangers in August . . . Cuban and Crane argue that had they not been bidding, the team would
have brought $98 million less at auction than the $593 million price for
which the club was ultimately sold.
As always, I invite the bankruptcy experts among you (and I know there are a few) to weigh in here, but that sounds completely nuts. If the frustrated bidder in a bankruptcy auction gets paid like that, doesn’t it create a huge incentive for people to bid when they’re not truly interested in winning? Because, believe me, there’s fat built in to any figure for “legal fees and expenses.” Doesn’t it also artificially inflate the value of the subject of the bidding? Doesn’t it also take money out of the creditor’s pockets when banckruptcy is supposed to benefit them above all others?
Maybe this has happened before, but I kind of doubt it. It certainly makes Cuban and Crane look like a couple of vultures.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)