Oct 11, 2010, 11:16 AM EDT
Last month Tyson Gillies pleaded not guilty to cocaine possession charges stemming from a June arrest in Florida and now the Kamloops Daily News reports that the state attorney’s office has dropped all charges against the 21-year-old outfield prospect acquired by the Phillies in the Cliff Lee trade.
Here’s what Gillies said about the charges being dropped:
I’m glad that this ordeal is over, but I’m still very upset that it happened to me and that my character, which I’ve worked so hard to build, can even be questioned. I was drug tested five hours after the incident happened and it had obviously come back negative. I know who I am and what I’m about as a person and was stunned by the things I had to go through. If there’s one big thing that I take from this, it’s to be more aware of the situations I put myself in in the future.
According to police reports officers spotted Gillies walking on the side of a highway at 3:00 a.m., trying to flag down cars. They gave him a ride back to the team hotel, at which point an officer allegedly found a bag of cocaine in the back seat. Gillies’ lawyer told the Daily News that a drug test administered hours later showed no sign of cocaine in his system.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)