Oct 11, 2010, 11:16 AM EST
Last month Tyson Gillies pleaded not guilty to cocaine possession charges stemming from a June arrest in Florida and now the Kamloops Daily News reports that the state attorney’s office has dropped all charges against the 21-year-old outfield prospect acquired by the Phillies in the Cliff Lee trade.
Here’s what Gillies said about the charges being dropped:
I’m glad that this ordeal is over, but I’m still very upset that it happened to me and that my character, which I’ve worked so hard to build, can even be questioned. I was drug tested five hours after the incident happened and it had obviously come back negative. I know who I am and what I’m about as a person and was stunned by the things I had to go through. If there’s one big thing that I take from this, it’s to be more aware of the situations I put myself in in the future.
According to police reports officers spotted Gillies walking on the side of a highway at 3:00 a.m., trying to flag down cars. They gave him a ride back to the team hotel, at which point an officer allegedly found a bag of cocaine in the back seat. Gillies’ lawyer told the Daily News that a drug test administered hours later showed no sign of cocaine in his system.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 111
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 41
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (114)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)