Phillies prospect Tyson Gillies gets cocaine charges dropped

Oct 11, 2010, 11:16 AM EDT

Last month Tyson Gillies pleaded not guilty to cocaine possession charges stemming from a June arrest in Florida and now the Kamloops Daily News reports that the state attorney’s office has dropped all charges against the 21-year-old outfield prospect acquired by the Phillies in the Cliff Lee trade.
Here’s what Gillies said about the charges being dropped:

I’m glad that this ordeal is over, but I’m still very upset that it happened to me and that my character, which I’ve worked so hard to build, can even be questioned. I was drug tested five hours after the incident happened and it had obviously come back negative. I know who I am and what I’m about as a person and was stunned by the things I had to go through. If there’s one big thing that I take from this, it’s to be more aware of the situations I put myself in in the future.

According to police reports officers spotted Gillies walking on the side of a highway at 3:00 a.m., trying to flag down cars. They gave him a ride back to the team hotel, at which point an officer allegedly found a bag of cocaine in the back seat. Gillies’ lawyer told the Daily News that a drug test administered hours later showed no sign of cocaine in his system.

1. Mr. Heyward - Oct 11, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Let’s just sprinkle some crack on him and get outta here.

2. SouthofHeaven - Oct 11, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Soooo, who’s coke was it? The cops?

3. SouthofHeaven - Oct 11, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Bah! WHOSE! My bad.

4. JBerardi - Oct 11, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Wouldn’t surprise me.

5. klbader - Oct 11, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Who knows that actually happened here. Maybe he was going back to the hotel to use it? Of course there was no coke in his system, it was still in the plastic bag!

6. avg joe - Oct 11, 2010 at 12:16 PM

If I was put in the back of a cop car and I had coke on me, you better believe I would leave it in there before we got to the police station. Maybe Tyson Gillies did this, or maybe the last perp who was back there had the same idea. Who knows?

7. NYCBaseball - Oct 12, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Of course, no one considers the “possibility” that the cops are LYING about the whole thing!!! Logic suggests that if it was Gillies coke, HIS FREAKING FINGERPRINTS WOULD BE ON THE BAG. I mean, that’s cop school 101 – check for prints. If his prints were indeed on that bag, there would be no argument – it’s his.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3846)