Reader Dissent: Quit generalizing about Yankees fans

Oct 11, 2010, 3:02 PM EDT

When you write a post entitled "this is why people hate the Yankees," you can bet your bippy that you're going to get replies.

Reader Stupid Factory takes me to task for my Yankees post:

You are quite possibly the biggest baby in the sports blog-sphere. If
you really buy into what the NY rags write you need serious
professional help.

Worry about your Braves season ending tonight vs. what the Yanks may or
may not do in the future – especially when speculated by the NY
tabloids. Despite your opinion – these rags DO NOT represent the
average fan. Shame on you for generalizing an entire fan base.

I’ll say though, you have the Yankee-hatred vibe going well enough to
join ESPN – maybe you are just lobbying for your next paycheck…

Good grief!

Hey, I didn’t say the entire fan base. I said a wide swath!

1. YANKEES1996 - Oct 11, 2010 at 5:26 PM

@ Josh in DC, We did not sign up to be Yankees fans it came naturally, in my case my father, his father and his father before were all Yankees fans. When I was a kid it was a given coming from a household like mine that you were a Yankees fan when your parents brought you home from the hospital.
    It is easy to make generalizations about the fans of any sports team it just goes without saying the fans of the Yankees are the most hated because the Yankees are the most hated team in baseball. Success breeds this kind of treatment and the Yankees are successful. Now, that being said if you believe what is written in the NY tabloids then there truly is no help for you. Sure there are obnoxious Yankee fans and there are obnoxious Phillies fans, there are obnoxious Rangers fans and yes Craig there are even obnoxious Braves fans but why you choose to make it a picking point is beyond me and most other Yankees fans. If you want to hate the Yankees go ahead, if want to hate the Red Sox go ahead, if you want to hate the Dodgers go ahead but the generalizations are insulting at best and always irritating.

2. Jrpaul - Oct 11, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Yes I understand that and I’m fine with it, just as I’m sure Craig is fine wiht the blowback he’s received from calling Yankee fans out. It’s all just a little interweb tempest in a teapot.

3. tpxdmd - Oct 11, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I know Mariotti is gone, but he was the worst Chicago guy I could come up with on short notice. I’m upset by talking about him, so I can only imagine how Chicagoans feel.

4. tpxdmd - Oct 11, 2010 at 6:18 PM

When I say I think ESPN has an anti-Yankees slant, I actually don’t mean the network as a whole. I think ESPN as a television channel effing LOVES the Yankees, and it seems like the programmers and countless others would make sweet love to Steinbrenner’s corpse if given a chance.
    However, I think their editorialists don’t like the Yankees. And I think there are a number of examples (Jim Caple, Rob Neyer, Bill Simmons spring to mind immediately) that are found on their website.
    But in no way does the channel or the people who decide coverage on their shows and whatever hate the Yankees. That much I don’t think can really be argued.

5. Citi Field Urinal - Oct 11, 2010 at 7:39 PM

There are douches of many stripes and equal number of douches when it comes to fan bases. The Yankee fans get a bad rap because there are just so damn many of them.
    I’m a Mets fan and I’m acutely aware that 99% of the time they’ll be second citizens in the city for a myriad of reasons (team has only existed since 1962, fan base primarily in LI, Queens, and Brooklyn) and that’s fine. There are plenty of douchey Mets fans whom I tolerate if only for the fact that we share an affinity for a team.
    It is what makes Boston, Phillie and Yankee fanbases so damn insufferable: just the sheer size of them means there will be more annoying fans among the smart ones.
    That said, anyone who uses the phrase “true Yankee” is an idiot, Yankee fan or not.

6. JBerardi - Oct 11, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Yankees fans suck. How are we even debating this?

7. Mrsteve - Oct 11, 2010 at 7:54 PM

The Yankees fans now are the same one’s who said they sucked in the 80’s & became Mets fans when they were winning.
    If you have ever been arrested, you might be a Yankees fan.

8. Ditto65 - Oct 11, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I love the way you generalize

9. froggy - Oct 11, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Those turds in the stands praying — PRAYING! — for their mercenaries to come through is what sticks in my craw. At this point, it’s like praying for big oil, or Wall Street, or insurance adjusters.

10. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 11, 2010 at 9:18 PM

You guys have spent all day debating a subject without thinking about who actually wrote the blog entry. You have to understand something…and I am sure Craigy will disagree with me…but Craig is NOT a true fan. Yeah, he likes the Braves. But he proved to me a week ago that he is not a true fan of the Braves. He said something to the effect of “If the Braves win, I’m happy for a little while and if they lose, I’m grumpy for a little while”. That’s not what a fan is. A fan is a FANATIC. A fan is someone who feels physically ill then their team loses. A fan is someone who can’t sleep after their team loses. A fan is NOT someone who is “grumpy for a while” when their team loses. Craig likes the Braves…he does NOT live and die with them. I live and die with the Phillies. When they lost last year, I didn’t get over it until Christmas. Craig would have been grumpy for a night and then he would have been fine. I still haven’t see the Yankers playing with each other after they won…and I’ll NEVER WATCH…EVER. I’m a Phillies fan. I live and die with the team. That’s a concept that Craig will NEVER get. Don’t hate him for that…it’s no biggie. I work with computers and I HATE when my mom asks me to come over to her house and fix her computer…it’s what I do all day. Craig is a baseball writer who happens to like the Braves…it’s his job. He doesn’t live and die with the Braves. If they lose tonight, he’ll be grumpy…then go to bed and wake up and start writing about baseball. He can’t afford to be a true “live and die” fan. He gets paid to be a baseball fan. So be it.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3602)