Oct 11, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
ESPN’s Howard Bryant is reporting that Bud Selig has instructed
Rays management “not to make significant financial investments in the
area until attendance indicators improve, suggesting the team could be
investing in potential relocation sites.” I’m assuming that means stadium improvements and the like.
I’d normally say something critical here, but it’s probably smart for Selig to say such a thing. I don’t think there’s enough polish in the world to make Tropicana Field an enjoyable environment for baseball, and to the extent the Rays actually throw money at attempting to do so, it’s likely wasted money. And the Rays don’t have a ton of money to waste.
And I don’t have a problem with them relocating either. It’s a business. If they can’t make the business work where they are, they should be able to move it. Indeed, I wish there was more freedom of movement for baseball teams. If there was maybe we’d have another team in New Jersey or New England or Southern California, which would level the playing field a bit and force dumb businesspeople out of the baseball ownership game.
Ultimately, my beef is with using tax dollars for ballparks. Stay away from that sort of thing and anything else you do is pretty much your business.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)