Oct 11, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
ESPN’s Howard Bryant is reporting that Bud Selig has instructed
Rays management “not to make significant financial investments in the
area until attendance indicators improve, suggesting the team could be
investing in potential relocation sites.” I’m assuming that means stadium improvements and the like.
I’d normally say something critical here, but it’s probably smart for Selig to say such a thing. I don’t think there’s enough polish in the world to make Tropicana Field an enjoyable environment for baseball, and to the extent the Rays actually throw money at attempting to do so, it’s likely wasted money. And the Rays don’t have a ton of money to waste.
And I don’t have a problem with them relocating either. It’s a business. If they can’t make the business work where they are, they should be able to move it. Indeed, I wish there was more freedom of movement for baseball teams. If there was maybe we’d have another team in New Jersey or New England or Southern California, which would level the playing field a bit and force dumb businesspeople out of the baseball ownership game.
Ultimately, my beef is with using tax dollars for ballparks. Stay away from that sort of thing and anything else you do is pretty much your business.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)