Oct 11, 2010, 3:28 PM EST
And the lineup is:
1. Infante 2B
2. Diaz LF
3. Lee, 1B
4. McCann C
5. Gonzalez SS
6. Heyward RF
7. Glaus 3B
8. Ankiel CF
9. Lowe P
I know Troy Glaus can’t field anymore either, but what choice does Bobby Cox have? All the players said the right things last night, but you know deep down none of them want Conrad at second base. And the fans? Well, Bobby Cox doesn’t give a hoot about what they think, thank goodness, but they wouldn’t be too pleased themselves. If Glaus screws up, well, yeah, that will suck, but at least he saved everyone’s bacon on Friday. At least he’s a veteran. At least it’s not doing the same thing and expecting a different result, and people will accept that a hell of a lot better than they’d accept Conrad fielding a ground ball again.
The truth is that there are no good options here. Diory Hernandez may have an OK glove, the Braves wouldn’t be in the mess they’re in if they could hit a lick, and Hernandez’s bat is probably worse than Glaus’ glove. When you do battle in the playoffs with your sixth or seventh infielder starting games you’re pretty much screwed no matter what you do.
Maybe more interesting in all of this: unless it’s a blowout, Bobby Cox is almost certain to use Brooks Conrad as a pinch hitter. Which, by the way, is the position that got him where he is today. His big hits this year helped the Braves into the playoffs. And while that doesn’t excuse his defensive lapses, he at least has a chance to add some value in that role.
I hope that, if he does get to bat tonight, Braves fans cheer for him. I fear they won’t, but I really hope they do.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 0
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 70
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)