Oct 11, 2010, 3:28 PM EDT
And the lineup is:
1. Infante 2B
2. Diaz LF
3. Lee, 1B
4. McCann C
5. Gonzalez SS
6. Heyward RF
7. Glaus 3B
8. Ankiel CF
9. Lowe P
I know Troy Glaus can’t field anymore either, but what choice does Bobby Cox have? All the players said the right things last night, but you know deep down none of them want Conrad at second base. And the fans? Well, Bobby Cox doesn’t give a hoot about what they think, thank goodness, but they wouldn’t be too pleased themselves. If Glaus screws up, well, yeah, that will suck, but at least he saved everyone’s bacon on Friday. At least he’s a veteran. At least it’s not doing the same thing and expecting a different result, and people will accept that a hell of a lot better than they’d accept Conrad fielding a ground ball again.
The truth is that there are no good options here. Diory Hernandez may have an OK glove, the Braves wouldn’t be in the mess they’re in if they could hit a lick, and Hernandez’s bat is probably worse than Glaus’ glove. When you do battle in the playoffs with your sixth or seventh infielder starting games you’re pretty much screwed no matter what you do.
Maybe more interesting in all of this: unless it’s a blowout, Bobby Cox is almost certain to use Brooks Conrad as a pinch hitter. Which, by the way, is the position that got him where he is today. His big hits this year helped the Braves into the playoffs. And while that doesn’t excuse his defensive lapses, he at least has a chance to add some value in that role.
I hope that, if he does get to bat tonight, Braves fans cheer for him. I fear they won’t, but I really hope they do.
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 0
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 17
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 78
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)